1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Need recommendation for drive wipe utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by Renoir, 21 Feb 2009.

1. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

In the past I've always used DBAN for securely wiping drives but having just built a new pc and wanting to wipe some old drives I have found problems using DBAN (both v1.0.7 and the beta v2.0.0). My guess is the boot cd is not compatible with my new system somehow which is plausible given how old the current stable release of the program is.

So is there an equivalent bootable utility that anyone has used with success or that they know of that they can recommend?

Thanks

Renoir

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

dd! (really)

3. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Dban has worked on every pc I've ever thrown it in. You could make a boot floppy, or even a boot thumb drive.

4. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

It turns out that my new pc is in fact having problems with a bunch of bootable utilities so clearly the problem is not necessarily with DBAN. I have instead just used Seagate's Seatools to write zeroes to the whole of both drives. Having done some more research it would appear that one full pass of zeroes is more than secure enough to wipe my drives and is a lot quicker to do than doing multiple passes with DBAN.

5. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Magnets are the way to go. :)

- Diosjenin -

6. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Well one of the 3 drives is not being recognised by the bios so I have decided to physically destroy it. My next door neighbour has an axe and an anvil so I look forward to some carnage in the next couple of days :D

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Darn! Diosjenin beat me to it! Although... I can up the ante... A huge electro magnet is the way to go! :D

8. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Just destroyed the drive. Those platters just disintegrate when hit with a large hammer. Instant powder just about