1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS details Windows 7 RC changes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Feb 2009.

1. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Oh lol. Do they really have to copy everything from KDE? But oh well, Microsoft never did anything creative, the whole interface was copied from macOS and later from KDE/Gnome.

Also, ditching HAL was weird. stability gains are pretty much non-existent (I couldn't play Fallout 3 on Win7 beta, it just started freezing and giving BSODs after a few minutes), while the performance hit was pretty big (not to mention soundcard issues, network card issues and so on).

Well, XP started being useable after SP2, Vista is still worthless, so W7 should start being even remotely good somewhere around 2013, after the second service pack.

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

and apple stole MOST of their hardware and their OS from Xerox so whats your point? thats what companies do.

Does the word Beta mean anything to you? or do you expect everything to be perfect from first conception?

I dont think Vista is worthless typically from my experience the peopple that say that Vista turned out to be worthless or a problem well they tend to be the problem not the OS, I have no issues with mine and prefer it over XP.

3. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

The point was pretty clear - M$ can't do anything creative, they can only copy. KDE is creative. Apple is creative (and although I feel a very strong dislike towards Apple, i have to admit that most of their design concepts, despite being aimed at idiots and ignorants, are pretty innovative).

What are you talking about? If anything, Vista is W7's beta and it was the first M$ system that dropped HAL. Yeah, the drivers are screwed by nV or ATI, but the performance impact comes directly from the fact that the drivers don't work in kernel space anymore. Maybe they see some logic behind that but I don't, since the stability is not really an issue if devs take some time to write a good driver.

I don't want to start a flame war. You like shiny, transparent windows? Go ahead, your choice.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just out of curiosity, where have you read that there's no HAL in Windows 7? That just makes no sense at all to me. Also, the HAL was, with good reason, introduced in the Windows NT line from the beginning. As far as I recall there never was a HAL in Windows 9x. Previous versions of Windows were merely graphical shells for DOS so I'd be hard pressed to call them OSes. :)

5. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

So it supports directx11.
    but no game so far to be seen.may be next year.but we did not have enough directx 10 titles ether.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

When are people going to learn that any comments made about Microsoft and their products lose all credibility when they refer to them as M$ :rolleyes:

7. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

backward compatibility is a big issue with me, I have programs that won't work on vista and w7 is nothing more than vista se. for those who want to change thats fine I have no problem with that but
    I will not give up my programs that easily. I like xp pro it works fine with everything I use and as they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

what programs?

pretty fail if people havent updated their apps to work with an OS thats now been out for 2 years :|

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends what applications. Some scientific stuff doesn't work outside of 2k, or even the 9x kernel :( Plenty still only use COM ports instead of USB too.

I'm still lost to understand why people think transparency and GPU acceleration is a bad thing.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The thing is people don't like change.
    Other than that there's no logical answer to that, Bindi. :)

As for scientific applications: We had to use an old firmware on a tool to test basic smart card's voltages to be able to get a read out under XP. With newer firmwares it would just crash, but run fine under 2k. :eyebrow: Scientist are the worst enemies of development sometimes.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The problem is that all software specifically made for a piece of hardware will take more resources to develop on new platforms. Some equipment are also so old that they aren't supported any more. The cost of getting new equipment will always be higher when both nes hardware AND software have to be bought.

All the cool kids write M$, you know! :rolleyes:

For me comments loose credibility when they say that Vista (and W7) is only fancy transparent windows and nothing more.

12. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

pretty fail if people havent updated their apps to work with an OS thats now been out for 2 years :|

there are programs that wil never work on vista or w7, you can update them till hell freezes over so
    please don't go down that road.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I CANT PLAY SYSTEM SHOCK 2 IN VISTA!! :waah:

14. yazooo

yazooo What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more.

Same issues for me in W7 and Vista and compatibility with Scientific software/hardware, but won't stop me moving to W7 on my gaming machine. Can't comment on Vista, never changed to it, but one thing is for sure, MS seem to be taking note alot more in user feedback, which can only be a good thing. Really hope they continue this trend with their other software.

Tags: Add Tags