1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux What OS for old laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Squallers, 9 Dec 2008.

1. jtfire55

jtfire55 What's a Dremel?

ubuntu-eee.org

best for low end laptops, nice gui

2. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Hey guys, apologies for the necro-thread but didn't see the point in starting a new one.

Ive now been happily running xubuntu for a few weeks (the original drive i used as a replacement died good and proper and i had to get a new one) however it appears to struggle with videos online (youtube, iplayer, etc). im sure that when it had xp installed on it they used to work fine my guess is that i possibly need a video driver, the only trouble is that i cant find one.

Anyone know where to find a linux driver for an ati mobility m?

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Don't think it's a problem with the video driver, I'd update flashplayer if I were you ;)

4. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Hmmmm, i'll give that a go. It could just be that the machine's not up to running them and im looking to the past with rose tinted specs

5. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I have had no problem with the ATI mobility in linux. I run slackware, just installed from the binary, enabled PCI_MSI in my Kernel and off I went.

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

You could try downloading a normal resolution non-Flash file to check and see what happens, but I reckon it's Flash bogging the CPU down.

I hate flash :(

7. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

What about drivers? I have the same issue, whereby I wish to install an OS on an old laptop, however the problem comes when I wish to use my wireless usb internet adapter, problem being I cant find any drivers. Can anybody recommend one that will work with xubuntu?

8. dumde

dumde What's a Dremel?

U- Lite, Imo.

It runs LXDE, which is great for slow systems.

9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Try slax, its KDE based but runs damn fast off a kingston data traveler.

10. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Slax, DSL (Damn Small Linux) or OpenSUSE.
    DSL is probably your best bet, considering it will run off of a CD/USB Flash drive and uses very little ram. OpenSUSE is probably the most secure, as its built off of Novell..

I would try those before trying anything Ubuntu-related....

11. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

After changing my hdd my machine sped up a bit so i thought i would try ubuntu again, as it was a bit sluggish on the old 4200rpm drive. It's still alot slower than xubuntu.

As a complete linux noob I would heartily recomend xubuntu as a lightweight user friendly OS for an aging notebook

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

did you run xubuntus tool to check for restricted drivers? its under system>administration. also, do desktop effects work for you? if they work, you already have a good video driver. if they don't, look harder.

i know on my laptop (intel graphics) everthing just started working right away, but on my desktop i have to download the nvidia restricted drivers before i can watch any video at higher than 3fps.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  13. dumde

dumde What's a Dremel?

850MHz CPU and compositing? Ha, good one ;)

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

oh yeah... :blush:

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Should be fine - my original model Eee PC runs Compiz Fusion perfectly, and that's a 900MHz Celeron.

16. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

What about the Google OS? so long as you have internet access this Os should meet all your needs with regards to what you want to do. You don't even need to download any software, documents can be created using Google docs, which is very friendly on your resources.

17. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

gOS is nice, but is it licensed under Googles TOS? If so, I would NOT get it. Google is one of the companies where if the Feeb (Feds) come talk to them, warrant or not, theyll hand over all your docs and then some and its all legal cause its in their TOS.

Personally, I would look at Slax. I tried out Backtrack 3 tonight, and its great, only running 92MB RAM of 2GB RAM total. That was on the Live CD mind you. Much smaller than Ubuntu's footprint...

18. dumde

dumde What's a Dremel?

The eee pc 70x has a MUCH better chipset, as well as 512mb of RAM.....

19. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

What about the MSI Wind? They have i think a 1 Gb Ram Model with the dual-core atom? I might be mistaken, but its worth a look :p

20. mishatim

mishatim What's a Dremel?

Google OS - 64bit

Google OS is for 64bit systems. Most of the old machines are 32bit, so unfortunately it rules out the Google OS.