1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Sugo SG03

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's all very well, but does it pass the Martin Test?

3. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Could you do a testing run with a second 120mm fan installed (as you recommended on the first page) to see if that makes a reasonable difference?

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Last page, through not trough.

This case isn't cute at all! It looks clunky and bulky and ew..

5. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

hmm interesting, I actually had the idea of trying that kind of layout (PSU "on top" of the motherboard) and even modelled it in Sketchup! Didn't do anything with it, as I have neither the tools or the money to make a completely scratch-built case!

6. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Corrected, thanks decodine.

7. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I would have liked to have seen the PSU flipped and behind the motherboard instead of in front. So you can show off the MB and expensive NV280. But with it covering up the entire side grill like that I would not give much attention to cable management,...... no one can see anything.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

if this thing allowed me to fit my Therlmaright Ultra-120e, i would pick it up in a split second. awwww... so cute.

9. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

I would give it considerable attention as cable management is as much for maximising airflow as making things look good.

10. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I understand what your saying. I'm talking like tie wraps and not anything nice and groovy. Hence the words "not give much attention" So not like this serious :dremel: but more like this serious :geek: about cable management.

I'm just perturbed. I always wanted a Case with the PSU behind the motherboard sucking air from out side and spitting it out the back and also I could "spider like" the cables around the board to the front. I just think that would be great.

Wish I had all the tools to do it myself.

Edit: By the way welcome.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2009
  11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

This looks like the sort of case that would benefit from a horizontal CPU cooler, rather than a vertical one, unfortunately most of the mainstream ones use 120mm fans (eg Noctua NH-U12) and would be too tall. Perhaps it would be worth experimenting with just a bare heatsink and a shroud directing air from the front fans, that's the sort of design most servers use (and a 1U server has a lot more heat packed into less space than this case). Mind you, most servers aren't exactaly what you'd call quiet...

12. PrometheusCon

PrometheusCon What's a Dremel?

I have this case and love it. Currently doing a mod on it. It's very well built, but the metal is a little flimsy

13. SnowCat

SnowCat What's a Dremel?

Silverstone should make custom PSUs for cases like this. Smaller and with shorter cables
    By the way - wouldn't it be better to have a classic scheme with PSU along top or bottom edge of the motherboard?

14. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Hmmmm, these are begging to get modded to fit a 1U or 2U powersupply so that a large heatsink can be used in it...

15. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

was just gonna suggest the same thing...

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

and this is clearly no exception. what were they thinking with that side window surround?

17. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I've had one of these for over 6 months now. Not a bad little case. The main problem I have found is that it needs a fan to exhaust hot air rather thanpulling cold air in. And the case is kind of flimsy, quite thin aluminium.

I managed to fit 2x 1Tb Spinpoints, a HD4870x2 and x-fi elite pro running off a coolermaster silent pro 700. Also got a good o/c on a q9450 to 3.2Ghz as well.

18. darkmarc

darkmarc What's a Dremel?

I've also been running one of these for about ten months. It's a great little case, have an Asus mobo, Q6600 @ 3Ghz with 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2. Have two Noctua fans at the front, 2x 1TB Spinpoints and a 8800 GTS, I don't have any heating issues at all. Although I will say that this probably the hardest build I've done, having never built an SFF unit before.

I went down this route because Nehalem was just around the corner and I didn't want to make a massive investment on the eve of new tech coming. When I make the move to i7 this will make a nice little file server.

19. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I did alot of research into the case recently but have never had my hands on one, so take what I am about to say with this in mind.

The SG03s I have seen have the PSU flipped so their much larger 120 or 140mm fan can exhaust the hot air from the CPU. Most guys run the Silverstone NT-06 series heatsink, which is made to sit right up against the bottom of the PSU.

One modder (on another forum) actually took a Noctua CP-12 and ground off the top 8mm of the heatsink so that it would fit under the PSU, providing even better cooling. I haven't seen anyone attempt it yet, but you could mod the case to accept an intake fan on the bottom floor of the unit, for better airflow to the graphics cards. Everyone that I have seen modded, uses 2 high-end 120mm fans on the front mesh to further help cooling.

I gave up on the idea of using this case because I want to go i7 for my next rig, though this case looks quite nice for those willing to compromise.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2009
  20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh the only time I plan to build an ITX system will be for my car, other then that the smallest I would be going is mATX.

Tags: Add Tags