1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Show Off Your HTPC and/or Server

Discussion in 'General' started by null_x86, 6 Mar 2009.

1. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

[​IMG]

There we go. Pentium something, XP Pro, 80GB, does FTP and OS image backup.

2. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

[​IMG]

I think I'm in the lead :hehe: This is my normal workhorse, but acts as a server and htpc aswell.

E8500
    4GiGs of 1066 DDR2
    4870X2
    3x 1TB WD
    6x 500GB WD
    1x 36GB old Raptor
    I'm using an Antec P190.

3. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This is my main file server. It never gets turned off.
    Intel C2D e4300
    Some random intel board
    2gb corsair dominator
    4 1.5TB seagates in RAID 5, usable volume in windows is 4.09 TB.
    80G Hitachi boot drive. I hope to get two laptop drives in RAID to replace the boot drive in the next build.
    This is my last server still not on Windows Server 2003 and is running Vista Ultimate.
    Case is a modified Boxx Technologers RenderBoxx 2U chassis.

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

very VERY nice.... i do like the 2U chassis.

there seems to be a lot of servers running Windows Server XXXX environments. Would you all say it was for ease of use or just familurarity?

(i run Debian Etch for its L7 bandwidth management)

EDIT::
    Yes it does look like you are in the lead :D

Just forgot, what type of backup are we all running for the RAIDs? or is it a hope that RAID 5 (and NTFS for the windows, XFS for me but i would prefer ZFS) will keep all the data safe from Bit-Rot and major failures?

5. Morgraath

Morgraath What's a Dremel?

Just forgot, what type of backup are we all running for the RAIDs? or is it a hope that RAID 5 (and NTFS for the windows, XFS for me but i would prefer ZFS) will keep all the data safe from Bit-Rot and major failures?
    /quote

I have the important bits duplicated in WHS and then backuped on a 1TB external drive.
    My photos is on top of that also burnt to backup dvd's stored at moms place.

Will NOT loose my important bits :)

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

My HTPC is mainly used for gaming, but it is in an HTPC case.

[​IMG]

At the moment I can't afford an HDTV, so I've got to settle for a 24" monitor. Unfortunately it's not a silent HTPC either, since the fans that came with the case (which I haven't yet bothered to replace) are quite considerably loud, although they are very good at keeping my PC cool.

I do have a 1TB HDD though, to store plenty of video, plus an HD DVD/Blu Ray drive and a Quad core CPU for faster transcoding/encoding of video. No TV tuner yet, although I plan on getting one when I can afford it. I'm a poor, poor student as it stands.

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

ANYTHING important should go to DVD as soon as possible. My RAID5 arrays are backed up to CDs (old ones) and DVDs for current. I don't know the shelf life of an optical platter, but I have readable CDs from the 1980s
    Disk to removeable/portable disk is always an option. Disks are like dirt cheap now days.

john

8. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

"Servers" running Windows, makes me lol so hard.

Anyways, I run several machines to satisfy my perverse ideas (machines range from old Sun Netra to several IBM x326, lots of other weird boxes), all run Debian, netBSD, openBSD. No Windows here, except for two "casual use" XP boxes.

IBM x326 on the inside (I have about ten of them, usually running as a cluster)
    [​IMG]

Netra: (cigarettes aren't mine). About twenty around my house
    [​IMG]

That's a rather cool piece, it's a 16Gb memory board from Sunfire 25k. Fully operational, I got several of them as a "thank you" gift, as I don't have the rest (power supplies, DDS4s, control boards, chassis and so on, all in all cost around 1.5 milion pounds) I use them as decoration.
    [​IMG]

My HTPC is not a HTPC at all, I use Naim HDX music server. I don't watch TV or movies, so no need for video playback and HDX is worth every penny (although has some quirks and sound quality is not always up to expectations).

Last edited: 9 Mar 2009
  9. dom_

dom_ --->

What on earth did you of all people buy an HDX for?
    Surely you must know what is inside and how much cheaper you could make it yourself?

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

lol ya. squeezeboxes, a terabyte raid and dbpoweramp. use the digital out from the SB3 into a decent DAC and amp; done. cost: a hell of a lot less than an HDX.

11. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Yep, I know. My second source is a passively cooled Sempron machine with bit-perfect spdif output connected to Altmann Attraction DAC, and lots of FLACs.

I bought HDX because I was curious and wanted to judge the quality myself. And it stayed, as I don't want any screens in my main room (wchich is also my music room) and it's hard to control playlists on a computer without a screen. Although I recently bought a Nokia N810 tablet, when i have time I will probably write remote control software. Might even put it as a project on Bit-Tech :)

The HDX is also connected to Altmann Attraction because inside DACs aren't up to the task.

12. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

what mobo is that? If i am correct I spot SO-Dimm Ram and PCI-e, PCI slots?

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

EDIT : nvm

Last edited: 15 Mar 2009
  14. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I mean..you could call it a server, but its my gaming pc.

[​IMG]

3TB of space (Soon to be 5 when I replace the 500GB and 160GB drives)

AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2
    4GB of ram (3.26, damn XP)
    Radeon 4870
    Foxconn A7DA-S

Also, just for laughs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Mar 2009
  15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

[​IMG]

My closet server!

Intel D945GCLF2D 1.6 Ghz Dual Atom 330
    Old "soon to be replaced" Dell psu
    Some Dvd-rw drive
    2*500gb Seagate hdd
    1 WD 500gb external backup hdd
    Logitech Dinovo Edge
    Hp Color laser printer

All neatly tucked away in the closet!

It is running windows vista ultimate 32bit, which it does remarkably well! It is hooked up to my 26" samsung lcd in my bedroom, and this is where the dinovo edge comes in handy, although i mainly operate it by remote desktop! Very cozy setup hehe. It is my download box, and it shares all my files across my home network in my apartment, and it exceeds all my expectations! And streaming movies and series to my xbox in my livingroom works flawlessly!

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

nice mess, whats that orange thingy? Im assuming it'd be the Dinivo? Dude you should condiering running Linux and actually using the atom to its extent, rather than raping it with Vista lol :p

17. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

The "orange thingy" is the backside of the dinovo :) Well actually I "have" to run vista, as it simplifies everything for me, sharing the drives, the printer, remote desktop and more importantly wmp 11 for sharing files with my xbox, and I'm really surprised as to how snappy it is, and with Linux I wont be able to share files with my xbox, which is one of the main reasons for setting it up. And yeah its quite a mess! But if it aint broke, dont fix it ;) Although I am looking for a cheap and silent case atm....

18. nry

nry Minimodder

File server:
    AMD 5050e 2.6GHz 45w CPU
    2GB OCZ PC6400 Platinum Ram
    Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H
    Tagan 480w PSU
    3x 1TB GreenPower Drives
    1x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    1x 160GB WD System

It does now have right angled sata cables but just didn't take a more up-to date picture
    [​IMG]

HTPC:
    Core2Duo E6400
    MSI P45 Neo-F
    2GB OCZ PC6400 Platinum Ram
    Hiper 420w with silent fan
    Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
    Thermaltake Mozart Slim case
    LG Blu-ray Reader/Writer

[​IMG]

Which all comes together to form this:
    [​IMG]

To be controlled by:
    [​IMG]

19. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

you can share stuff with Xbox and linux, it just takes some work... i mean you can do all your doing with Vista with Linux...
    uh, Shuttle SFF case with PSU Cheesecake?

@nry, what nokia is that and whats the control program?

20. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

looks like an N770.