1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SDHC to be replaced by SDXC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Perhaps, given what M$ are doing to TomTom at the moment, a storage scheme based on an actually free file system would be better?

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Why did they choose to go with exFAT for the file system?

4. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

I will take 2TB of pictures and force my family to live through every single one

5. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

More than likely due to the extremely small over-heads it carries. And that's before you get to the similarities between FAT32 and FAT64, making it a simpler 'port' for your firmwares.

I digress, a free file system would be preferable.

I somehow don't think TomTom will be using >32GiB of space any time soon, however.

6. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

"While the form factor is the same as the SDHC – and SD – cards before it, the good news stops there: SDXC is completely incompatible with both SD and SDHC-based systems, and will require specially designed hardware to take advantage of the increased speed and capacity it offers"

so then why use the same form factor? is it to fool idiots into buying it, thinking it will work in their stuff, when it wont?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Same reason SDHC uses the SD form factor despite being incompatible - SD cards will work fine in SDHC devices, just not the other way around. Likewise, SD/SDHC cards should work fine in SDXC devices, just not the other way around.

If you buy a new camera, imagine how ticked off you'd be if you couldn't use any of your old memory cards.

8. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I spoke at length with every Scandisc employee, even their tech's at CES about this new xd card they are putting out. They have absolutely no plans to implement read/write speeds to pc at a data rate that compares to the camera/device ability to write/read to the card installed.

Examples were camera writing to it near future can write at 300mbs but that when the camera or even card reader in the pc would still transfer at standard usb speeds.
    When I asked all their sales reps, they sent me to the tech's and engineer on hand, who had no answer. Their only answer was they were really marketing at the new HD cameras that take crazy sized hd video; and the new 3d cameras that use more than one capture feed. While enabling the cameras to save enough data fast enough, and have enough room, they were not so forward thinking on how to get that data from the camera to the pc. While the cameras capable of doing said things are corporation level expensive, they will leave the camera transfering tech to the camera people.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND;
    I seem to remember a small drive the size of a notebook hard drive that had 4 slots for sd cards. imagine using 4 of these new xd cards, on one side, and as the current nice feature use a second controller to provide effective raid to 4 more cards on the reverse side, 16Tb flash drive Cheesecake!

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow 2tb on an SD card, thats just nuts, I hope this applies to the SDD market ^__^

10. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Happened before, it'll happen again: you'd be shocked at how many people I had to tell, between 2006 and 2008, that their SmartMedia cards and (original) Memory Sticks weren't going to fit any new cameras.

11. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Its not like we'll be getting them in 2TB capacities any time soon, its just the format that supports that as a max capacity.

12. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

OMG even 100mbs would be nice especially on upcoming phone devices that can play 720p!

13. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Can Windows even read any other file system than FATxx?

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No, of course not. That's why NTFS doesn't work with any Windows OS. :eyebrow:

Proprietary? Why, oh why?

15. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Did I miss somthing?

16. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Only the blatant sarcasm.

NTFS/FAT32/FAT have been supported for some time. FAT64 (exFAT) is new.

Then you can have Installable File Systems (IFS) that range from ext2 to HFS+, etc.

And they were meant to be on WinFS by Vista, but that never happened. :hehe:

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

uh, no ****? thats a limitation of USB2, hardly their fault
    you'd need an eSATA card reader or some other interface

18. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

2Tb on a SD card is ridiculous. Using an array of smaller cards has it advantages, like if one card goes bad your others are fine.

If anything the new standard on cameras is that every brand/model/type has two slots. I would love to have a redundant backup on camera (I know some pro cameras have this, but who wants to spend $6k on a camera, other then Vers ;) )

Long live CF! :D

19. Kidzoom

Kidzoom What's a Dremel?

How about utilized as a 1-2 TB really compact device to back up my hard drive?

Could easily back up system to multiple cards and throw it in a fire proof safe or carry off site.

Even better as an array to back up the entire system. Just a fear factor of "misplacing" a $600+ card with all your data. Must Encrypt!

20. DBNemesis

DBNemesis What's a Dremel?

I've been using a couple of 32GB cards with my SLR and even for large cameras, it seems more useful to have multiple cards at that size, as you stand to lose a ton of valuable photos already. that said, HD videos or 3D would be great to have the size. I'll be happy with 32GB for a while yet though.

Tags: Add Tags