1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Who watched the Watchmen?

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 4 Mar 2009.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

+Infinity

Blu-ray at home wins every time. Especially if you were planning to go to the cinema with someone else, and you both have a salted popcorn craving.

"£32 for two tickets and two popcorns? This film better be good."

I have every confidence that I will find Watchmen teh awesomes, and my fiancee will probably not get it at all.

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

LOL

crompers watches the watchmen tomorrow night

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

/agree on cinemas being a rip off, no matter how epic the film youre going to see is... but I have a buddy who works in the best cinema in Belfast, so most times I go its free anyway ;)

For those of you who havent read the novel and cba buying it, theres a good torrent of it on most websites that do that sorta thing ;)

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

smuggle in your own popcorn. easy to do most of the time, unless the cinema is epic chavvy and searches bag-carriers.

also, blu ray at home does win every time, but that's kinda ignoring the fact you have to spend at least £2000 (conservative estimate!) on a display, ps3/bluray player and sound system to do the whole thing justice! not to mention the £18 cost of the disc itself (OK, discounting rentals).

that's not to say i don't own such a pimped out system. (in fact i spent £2000 on the sound alone... :worried:)

5. Charel

Charel What's a Dremel?

Right, well after trapsing through the bleak solent night, I can tell you that it is most entertaining, whether or not it is an apt portrayal of the originial... well, the jury's still out on that one.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think I'm going on Saturday too bad my Fridays is all booked up

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

8. Fod

9. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Saw the film this afternoon and thought it was good - and certainly something that'll merit a second viewing on Blu-Ray (If only to see the extended cut).

Ordered the hardback comic as well (been meaning to get it for a while, but didn't want to read it before seeing the film).

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Just watched it, yes its good.

Am I the only one who lol'd at Dr.Manhattan's blue willy?

And hurrah! for the boobage as well.

11. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It was fantastic and a visual splendour, can't wait to get it on disc.

12. Fod

saw. good. watch.
    watching on imax on 15th! even more excited now!

13. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Just got back was awesome, as good as I could have expected but still not as good as the book, I probably wouldn't have understood it without prior knowledge, so I'm a little concerned how well its gonna do

14. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

As someone who had a vague understanding of the story, but who had never read the original comic, I found the film to be good - and to me more than accessable.

However one of the two others I saw it with really disliked the film, and the other liked it but didn't fully understand it, so there may be something to be said for going into the film if not with prior knowledge of the characters and story, but at least with a willingness to accept a slightly unconventional narrative and narration.

However, judging by how packed the cinema was (for a 1pm screening) and the length of the queues when we were leaving I wouldn't worry about the films box office.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

OMFG that was awesome, they cut out quite a bit and
    they removed the big fake alien and said Dr Manhattan did it instead, but it worked
    . The fight scenes were awesome, it was just generally awesome. I actually think that maybe if you've read the novel you'll enjoy it more, me and my friend loved it, my gf who hadn't read it before, not so much, bit too long, and my friend and I were able to fill in the gaps and just enjoy the bits they had presented.

The problem with the watchmen is to get the whole thing in, you'd either need multiple films, which would suck, or a TV series, but then you'd miss all of the awesome cinematic feel of it. It would be stupidly difficult to fit it all into one film without going back to the epic lengths of the old days, so I think they did really when cutting it down.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2009
  16. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Generally it was alright. The musical sequencing ****ING SUCKED ASS and the changed ending was as ****ing stupid as the original so in summary, pretty good movie, book is a million times better.

17. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

yeah its pretty good,

However, the slow motion was seriously over used. actually, it pissed me off. :blush:

the "other ending" would make the movie (to the audience who never read the novel) too far'fetched. and im glad they ended it the way they did, despite loving the novels original plot.

18. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Its less far fetched in the book because there are tons of subtle clues, but while I somewhat agree in the film context it would seem far fetched, its still much better for the simple fact that the movie completely misses the final and probably most important point of the book ("Nothing Ends") and even goes out it's way not to suggest it .

edit: Also, the little chapter epilogues of "Under the hood" was badly needed in the film, without a grounded sense of reality for the "hero" they just came off as actual superheroes, rather than the normal people they are meant to be.

19. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

QFT.

The shooting seemed uninspired at times - they took lots of very dramatic shots from the comic book, and then stitched them together with blah.

On the other hand, the fight choreography was amazing. Remember Batman Begins, where you can tell Batman is kicking ass, but it's too dark and shaky to see what's going on? Watchmen took that, pulled the camera back and stopped giving the steadycam operator coffee, and put the fight under spotlights. You see everything, and it's incredible.

I'm going to have to disagree with wgy on the slow-mo: compared to 300, it's downright tasteful in Watchmen. Mostly happens around Adrian, interestingly enough...

20. Denrik

Denrik What's a Dremel?

I haven't read the original, I didn't even know it existed as a comic before I saw the film trailers. I saw the film and was uttterly impressed, I didn't understand some things, which obviously I would have, if I knew the background. Though, forgetting it existed as something before film, I really liked it for what it was.

Leave the film production companies alone, they do a brilliant job of taking a wealth of information and story to convert it into a three hour film, realisticly, if you were to shoot the original comic as it was, you would have a film at least days long. Stupitiy. Instead of condemming these guys for the work they do, thank them for bringing such a rich universe alive in the medium of film.

I honestly don't know if you could call what Watchmen did, slow-mo...Its a slower time framed around certain characters, merely to show their advantage in what is a hero-villian film. And it works awesome. It is very tasteful -TechnoDann-