1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : CopperHead: 6/4/09 Orange:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 27 Jul 2008.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

100% correct boy4..
    So, (I hope) using a Scythe 120mm fan moving 110CFM of air in conjunction with the radiator will cool CPU, GPU and northbridge..
    That's my plan anyway..
    I can't find any information to say yes/no BUT, I am pretty-sure the feser is a "dual-row" 2-pass radiator. The 120mm BlackIce radiators are 2-pass single row. Only there larger rads are dual-row.. Does anyone know for sure?
    Fitting that radiator in the case requires a few " change of plans type action".. I will show you ASAP. I will also get some orange LEDs to play with to check for color.. I remember having a problem with some red LEDs looking pink. I hope that's not the case with orange..
    MS

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Wait wait wait.... so you want to cool i7 920, NB and GPU with single 120 Feser?
    Hmm... interesting:)
    I saw one review of this rad cooling Q6600+8800GTX with about 60cfm fan and getting middle 40s temps on CPU. So your config will be interesting:)
    What GPU is it gonna be?
    Did you consider two ~60cfm fans push-pull, instead one 110cfm? Or if you insist on this one two of them in push pull and then you could lower speeds for less noise?

I would go then for two of these: SY1225SL12M 1,200 rpm 24.00 dBA 68.54CFM

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  3. modsquad

Wait-wait.. :hehe:
    yes..
    GPU, most-likely a Geforce GTX 285 (1GB) My gaming days are behind me. This should be more than enough video card to keep me happy.. Waterblock, my guess..
    EK..

Push/pull... Pull/push... there is no room for a fan before and after the radiator.. And I am not even sure that helps... so "forget about it".....

My plan is to add as much water (via reservoir's) to the loop as I can. and
    Make that TFC radiator earn it's "bones"...
    Thanks for posting up phinix..
    MS

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Personally for what your cooling I would have a minimum of a 240mm rad. I know your a bit strapped for space. Would you consider dropping the NB from the loop? You can get some nice copper tower type sinks as a replacement.

I know my loop keeps my Q6600 and 8800GTX at stock at about 36c idle and slightly higher load. I think you will easily be able to cool the CPU off that rad but the GPU may be a bit tricky.

5. modsquad

Gotta use the NB Stinger, it just looks so slick.. From what I read, Intel's X58 northbridge runs VERY cool :brrr:. Something about the memory controller hub not being on the NB is the reason (if I remember correctly). So, it should not be an issue..
    It will be fine.. I am not looking for ultra low temps.
    Totally unrelated, but great news never the less.. The boys at Sidewinder have begun to stock Heatkiller stuff.. great news for North America...

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  6. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

I liked the chrome radiator more, but i understand you need the feser one to keep everything cool. I still like the new look though, I especially like the lighting setup. Just wondering: would it be possible to have a radiator chrome plated?

btw MS, i noticed that there are holes left in the bottom of your case. Will you be making a new bottom plate out of anodized aluminium?

7. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

8. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

More water wont keep your rig cooler. Will just take more time for the water to reach an equilibrium. Also, a single 120mm rad will not keep your components cool. No way near. You would probably be better off with a Thermalright Ultra-120. Of course I know you that you prio astetics. But cmon.. A little 120mm radiator on an i7 and a gtx 285..

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I had a BI Stealth 360 on a Opteron 180 + NB + GPU + Mosfets and the fans never even turned on unless it was a hot day. However, I agree with you that a single 120 is debatable for both the CPU and GPU if your planning on doing any OC at all.

From what I hear the I7 run pretty cool so this may work out (with no OC). But what the heck, it just may work fine and nothing ventured nothing gained.

10. alpha_prime

I guess the best thing to do is set up a test loop with just the cpu and nb, if the temps are ok he could still add his gpu into the loop. If they aren't, he could remake the window on top (as shown on page 2) and mount a radiator there. There seems to be ample room up top, the 860 turbo cool is pretty short, only 160 mm long.

11. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

No, wrong, I7 runs hot, actually almost very hot. Also todays GFX and other components do dump a lot more heat into the loop than old gaming gear did (Hence all the focus on good cooling etc). Also you say that "the fans never even turned on". What does that mean? They didn't turn on until the processor had reached 60C or what?

But all I can say is good luck. Whatever temps you will get this build is still really aweseome. No doubt about that.

12. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

If you have a I7 then I will bow to your experience. :blush:

I had my fans controlled by an Aquaero and they were set so they didn't even come on till the water temp reached 35* C. However, since I did have fans in the bottom of the case and the rad was in the top I did get some air always going through the radiator.

13. modsquad

Wow, some real action (aka feed back and helpful information) on the thread.. excellent..:thumb:

First, much thanks to Top Nurse and Cheapskate (he PM'ed me the news about the same time she posted)..
    The new (well 2009 version ) of Aqua-Computer's all copper aquatube is a "must have", just IDEAL for the project.. I emailed Gary at Sidewinder and he will order one for me. Won't get it for a few weeks but ..
    It's coming and I am excited.. thanks again, both of you.. I also need to "reinvent" the case-front to get a view of that sexy-unit..

Radiators; processors; videocards and HEAT :
    NysoO's comments sent me searching the "intergoogle" (and drinking).. He is 100% correct.

I guess I have not been keeping up with the latest hardware and there heat-issues.
    The last two machines I built work great with a single 120mm radiator. Those days seem to be over..
    alpha-prime spoke of a top mount radiator.. It would (could) only be a 120mm unit.
    [​IMG]
    just not enough real estate between power supply and reservoir to mount for a 240mm radiator.
    A second loop with a 120mm radiator mounted top-side would be possibly, but ( I hate to say) the best solution maybe to not watercool the GPU.. :jawdrop:
    Clean, simple and cost affective..
    Much, thinks for opening my eyes NysoO..

alpha-prime also noticed a number of (holes) in the bottom-plate of the case.
    [​IMG]
    the copper skid-plate hides the bulk of them. As for the rest : bolts with acorn nuts to hide what Lian Li intended.. Some "tweaking" is needed with the new TFC radiator, an update will follow..

this is perhaps the greatest page of dialog in the PL thus far.. Truly helpful information.
    I just love it.. :D thanks one and all..
    MS

14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

There is certainly a lot to be said for that as I was considering exactly the same thing. Until I turned on my Asus 4870 DK. Noisy is too nice a word :jawdrop: and the fan nicked my fingers one too many times. :waah:

I am intending to use a 120mm rad to cool off my AMD 720 BE (and possibly the MB components as well) as it never goes over 40* even on factory air and over-volted to 1.5v.

Maybe I missed it, but did you have the MB tray copper plated?

How about an Aquabay copper plated with a black face plate to bolt up the copper aquatube?

Last edited: 11 Mar 2009
  15. alpha_prime

Not sure you'd need an extra cooling loop MS. GTX 280's produce 250 watts of heat maximum, a non overclocked i7 is 130. If i'm not mistaken a single 120mm rad can cope with 250 watts ( I think your feser+ 100CFM fan+fan shroud might cope with a bit more), so 2 in series on one loop should be ok to cool your gear.

Why would you need to have seperate loops? why not install two of those bitspower fillports on that chromed psu cover, and connect that top radiator to your loop via those? You have 2 free 5.25" bays (3 if you install the aquaero in the dual 3.5"bay) , that should be ample room to route tubes etc.

Keep up the great work ms :hip:

16. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Well I do not currently own a I7 myself. But I have read a bit about this chip and it's running hot. I think It's a bit wierd as the chip uses a "small" manufacturing process. But I guess they add a lot of other things that makes the CPU run hot.

modsquad: Glad beeing able to help. Just want your build to turn out as good as possible.

17. modsquad

@ top N: the case is a Lian Li PC-A60C
    [​IMG]
    one of 300 made (I think that was the number). The MB tray and some copper odds/ends are what makes it a A60C.

@ alpha_prime.. Great idea, a second radiator for the loop is better (ezer) than a second loop..
    BUT, I would just hate to do the 120mm radiator on top.. It's just been "done to death".. Big ugly 120mm hole.. Like a thousand guys have done before me..
    Check this out:

80mm Radiator
    said to cool 100 watts. It will bolt in and not change the look of the top of the case the way a 120mm radiator would.. Add a high speed Delta 80x38mm (adjust via rheostat) could equal 100CFM.

@NysoO : Much Thanks..
    MS

18. alpha_prime

I wasn't suggesting a fanhole. Make a window on top like you did on page 2, about 90-100 mm wide and as long as you did before. Cover it with hexmesh, and mount the 120 mm radiator to that. that way you'd only see the fins of your rad and psu on top, I think it would look great that way, while keeping the original look.

Regarding the A60C case, I really think it's one of the coolest cases lian li ever made. It's a nice and simple medium sized case without al the unneeded extra's most cases have today. It's a shame they made it limited edition. It would be cool though if they started making similar 60C cases, fully anodized in black.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2009
  19. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

They do make a black one.

the pc-60c is a copper "special" version of the pc-60a

lian-li'website

20. alpha_prime

I was actually referring to a fully anodised one, including the chassis (the PC 60B chassis is just plain aluminium). I suppose you can powdercoat it yourself, but the effect won't be as nice as anodizing.

Tags: