1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 10 support coming to Mac OS and Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I used Crossover games but got frustrated with it as the games kind of worked and kind of didn't. Last thing you want to do is spend good money on a game, then take the time for it to install only to find it has all been a waste!

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I got a free subscription for Mac and Lin a few months back when Obama was elected? Never really came round to use it tho. ATI drivers suck too much atm.

4. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I love their dedication, must had it to them for doing something others don't or lose interest in.

5. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

I gotta say the only thing that keeps me away from Linux, is videogames..

So the day video games get full support for Linux, Im in.

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Ha, it;s going to be available on Linux and not XP.

I find that to be amusing.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Get it right and I'll never boot windows again.

8. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Haha, I laughed at that thought too. I'm guessing someone somewhere has (or is trying to hack) hacked some sort of DX10 support for XP. I dunno how big the demand for for it is though. I mean most of the best games (except for Halo 2 Vista of course :rolleyes:) don't need that DX10 support.

9. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

GTFO my Linux, Microsoft crap.

But seriously, I'm all for anything that makes Linux (and FLOSS in general) more popular. I still think that it's not for everyone (i.e not for dumb ignorants and Apple users), but recently I see that lots of distros are moving fast towards being actually useful for average ignorant and more idiot-proof. Hell, even Fedora 10 desktop is quite useable. Even Microsoft feels the change (the whole connecting-to-the-community win7 stuff).

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

The thing that stops linux from becoming popular is the perception that it is for l33t3r than thou tech heads and not for average user.

Calling people ignorant for not knowing their way around the PC is like me calling you ignorant for not knowing how to rebuild a car or craft an exquisite wooden bench (not say that you can't, I probably couldn't). Comments like yours feed this perception and stop most windows/mac users from using linux.

CrossOver is a step in the right direction but with the wrong shoes on. People use most distributions of linux because they want to use free and open source software, not because they want to pay to play games they have already paid for.

Games companies need to have better support for openGL. The only problem with this is that someone needs to make money somewhere.

11. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

bootcamp kinda wins on simplicity, if Apple update their drivers more often it'd be fine for games.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice, may be by the time Snow Leopard comes out, i will erase my Windows partition and use a Hackintosh with Dx10 support :)

13. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

I guess this is good news if you like your games. It's a shame there is no viable free and open alternative for these games though.

I'm a non l33t3r than thou tech head who uses Linux 99% exclusively. I invite you all to come and join in the fun.

14. jparshall

jparshall What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the irony of having it on Linux and not on XP is not lost on us. Thanks for the kind comments, you guys. Sorry our product isn't perfect yet--Wine development is just *stupid* hard, and everything takes us longer than we'd like. We're nothing if not persistent, but we get frustrated, too, by how far there is yet to go.

Cheers,

-jon parshall-
    COO
    www.codeweavers.com

15. Helldiver18

Helldiver18 What's a Dremel?

It would help to use 100% of my machine! Going to XP to play but leaving 7GB of RAM on the side because XP can not handle more than 3 (in 32 bit) that's not fun.

16. gpzjock

gpzjock What's my age again?

Enjoy using OS X over Windows, if Direct X 10.0 support arrived I'd be even happier to play a larger more varied choice of games in my preferred OS. Probably wouldn't stop my Warcraft addiction though. :)

17. moonscraper220

moonscraper220 What's a Dremel?

How much of an idiot do you have to be to not only buy into the over exaggerated hype that mac is "better" than say a high end windows 7 machine, but then go out and spend about double on a mac that has about 1/2 the processing power of a high end PC. And then after you get the mac, spent countless hours searching the web to find ways to get DX11 to run on the mac? Plus I've seen many spend oodles of time to properly configure bootcamp, set up parallels etc. It's supposed to be easy, remember? Windows is supposedly hard (it's not), yet mac is so easy. But you spend all your time trying to make it work for you the way you wish it would in windows. And Yet here all you are salivating over DX implementations that don't even work right and have more problems and glitches than you originally claimed to be running away from. If I've learned one thing over the past 30 years, Mac users are really a bunch of very touchy people that over exaggerate everything, along with buying into the deceptive ImAMac commercials. I mean. How stupid do you have to be to not see that those commercials portray pretty much a fantasy world of "perfection" that isn't really even there?

Those commercials are a MUST for apple in order to sell those systems, but they distort reality. Look at it this way. My i7 based computer with great nvidia card at 4ghz will run circles around any typical $1600 imac. It will render video (something a mac should excel at), at twice the rate or better! Yet I only paid $730 for my PC. A friend of mine doubted this. So I ran adobe applications and beat the socks off his imac with video, along with many other real world exmaples. Then I hackintoshed my system to show him a mac that beat he living day lights out of what he had. Of course I put windows 7 back.... But he thought it was really cool. Point is Mac IS NOT any better than a high end PC with windows 7 costing under $1000.

My system is also faster than Apples $2000 i7 based imac, along with their $2500 mac pro etc. Tested! Even had I not over clocked I'd whip the $1600 imac. That's because Apple is ripping it's customers off by being cheap skates. They only give you a lousy, 3 year old core2duo tech in mobile form for their imacs. Only when you start paying Apple out the wazoo do you get something a little nicer. Then you get to fool around with trying to get DX9, 10, or 11 to work etc. Doesn't sound like my idea of powerful, intuitive and enjoyable.

But again, all this trouble and time spent for love of this machine that isn't really any better, but rather just similar. If the windows system sucked THAT badly, don't you think I'd just buy a mac? Or leave my system hackintoshed? But I sit in windows 7 and it works GREAT!

Yet, all this work to make something work that's not even intended to work AND WILL NEVER work up to the level it does in windows. @jon parshall, codeweavers. I really can't understand all the huge amounts time and extra money for something that you fully admit is problematic. In fact, more problematic and expensive than just using windows 7 on a good PC. To me mac is like a pipe dream that's never really realized.

And I don't want to offend mac users. I just really think that this takes the cake in terms of illogical endeavors. A mac user usually accepts that there are some limitations that come with owning one and does so to get what they perceive are advantages, even though I disagree.... But when you go to the extreme that you are trying to suck parts of the Microsoft operating system into OSX, just to make games work, it seems so idiotic to me. sorry. And then you might claim, oh, no it's not the OS, just DX. We can't have any of microsoft's lousy OS code running. But we'll take the DX11. Give me a break. Can you people not see how ridiculous all of this is? What's next? You might as well slowly turn OSX into windows because that's pretty much what's happening here. It's not like those are not windows functions running in DX etc.. And yet mac users sit around and talk about how they don't want any buggy microsoft code in their machines, But in the next breath they are trying to find ways to get microsoft's code to run under unix/osx etc. Just OMG, LOL! And then just after that talking about the greatness of the mighty apple and Steve Jobs. Don't get me wrong. A macbook makes a nice, expensive, web surfer. But these people wanting it to respond like a windows machine and spending more time and money to get it to be that way are reaching...

Tags: Add Tags