1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knowle rohrer, 11 Mar 2009.

1. knowle rohrer

knowle rohrer What's a Dremel?

Hello all

Im looking for a little advice on what hardware to purchase (i think what im really looking for is lots of people to tell me to spend lots as the missus is telling me to spend nothing)

ive got 2 PCs 1 for me and one for the missus now i want a server so i can tinker host and generally learn stuff but im trying to figure out how to spend in the best way.

do i upgrade mine to the new i7 stuff at a cost of 700-800 and pass mine to the missus and use the missus as a server

do i go for a mid range upgrade at a cost of 350-450 but where i will see no benefit other than getting my server and the missus ends up with a pc as good as mine :duh:

or do i do a cheap as chips server build seeing as il never need much power as it will be for webhosting and the like media files or whatever i decide i want to learn about that week

i want to slap 800 quid on a new pc however i would have to wait till the end of may for that whereas the other two options i could do now

is it worth getting this first generation of chips or will i regret a wallet hit of nearly a grand i know its the million dollar question and there is no answer but if i bough the recomended mobo chip and ram would i be able to handle anything thrown at me for a few years or will things like the new sata connection mean i should wait????

oh btw ive been lurking on bit-tech for bloody years now keep up the good work everyone best page on the net (wipes **** off nose :D)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Depends on the current specs - give us a lowdown. :)

3. knowle rohrer

ive got:

dfi p35
    4 gig 8500
    gigabyte 4870 512 :)sigh: found out about 1 gig one a day after ordering)
    seagate 250 gig
    antec 900

missus

athlon 4400+
    dfi nforce 4
    geforce 7600
    2 gig ddr800 summin
    seagate 250

ive got a third case, psu, hd and dvd ready just need mobo ram and cpu

mine isnt really worth upgrading as im more than happy with crysis and far cry wouldnt mind the 1 gig 4870 for gta but meh.

i think im gonna get a spanking p45 board for mine and stick the 5200 and some ram onto the p35 and give that to the missus then il have my server

thats the only part i can justify upgrading really

well id love a 4870x2 but im not spending 300+ on a GPU when my current one handles the 2 best game comfortably

im really tempted to get the 6600 as id love to see what i could get out of it but for my main purpose of gaming it would be a downgrade and im not giving the missus a 6600

as much as id love to get a 920 and all the trimmings £650 to play the same games at the same settings seems a tad pointless atm and i dont think its as future proof as i would want it to be. with the rapid development of ssds this year and next i reckon and x58s with be as out dated as current p45s and the like by next year

but im mostly a noob who dosent know what hes on about :wallbash:

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

What will you be using the Server for?
    If its a simple home server then I'd get the HP Mediasmart Server.

5. knowle rohrer

im using it for anything that crosses my mind tbh.

first thing im going to do is stick 2003 on it and get a domain exchange server running (what work uses) and generally run that for a few weeks get a few mates to use the email purposly crash it so i can fix it.

then i might instal a linux server and run a web server for a while

its basicly gonna be a third pc that i can tinker with as a learning exercise which is why i dont want to spend any money on it id much rather upgrade the two gaming machines as we get waaay more out of them than i will the server

then once its bought every upgrade i do on my pc can get passed down the line so to speak