1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tom Clancy's HAWX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Have to say I do like this game, its just different.

Certainly deserves its 8/10 in my eyes.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Better out-of-the-box on console - you already have flight sticks that way. Can't say I agree with the assertion that the interface is cluttered, maybe at low resolutions it would become so, but at 1080p - what I presume Ubi developers were using to test - it's fine.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

great game, working fantastic on my xbox360 controller. only issue was the voice control automatically fires missiles when the speaker says "we are under fire". :) due to my mic is next usually put next to one of the speaker.

it's a shame F22 is unlocked so late, that's the only plane im good at. because i had lots practice in the demo.

on performance, i get small shuttering when playing, but Rivatuner graph reports my FPS is solid 60. anyone know why? (gtx260 216, all max, Dx10, low SSAO, 2xAA) (benchmark: highest: 161, average: 58) the performance is solid when the benchmark actions heat up, it's probably due to cache of the city landscape?

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'll down load the demo when i get home, looks good though.

Do you get a cockpit view or is it always over the shoulder tail?

6. freezer90

freezer90 What's a Dremel?

i bought the thrustmaster hotas x especially for this game and it is defitively worth it.
    great review! i totally agree with 8/10

i love flying without caring about small flight errors that make my plane drop like a stone :D

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There's a cockpit view too, yeah.

8. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

That actually made me lol. The game looks good might get it when the price drops.

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I enjoy the game but what bugs me is the fact that everytime the AWACS or wingmen talk to me (and thus a video appears on the HUD), my game stutters.

I'm running Windows 7 Beta but my configuration meets the game's recommended specifications. Anyone know anything I can do to rectify this?

10. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

So this is another Ubi-fk-cough-soft game tryingt to milk some franchise.

I've got enough of that since Far Cry 2, but I am sure I will be able to get this game from some bargain bin for EUR 15 or less rather soon, which should about equal the actual value of the game.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I found the PC controls to be perfect. All I use is the arrow keys, a block of keys around WASD (as any good shooter would use anyway), and sapce and shift (which, again, any shooter would use). Would you mind elaborating on why you feel the controls are bad?

The F-22 isn't in the demo (unless I played a different demo). You get the F-16, Harrier and a Su.

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Does the Assistance-off mode still have the wonky camera?

13. Xir

Xir Modder

...if I can get my hands onto it for a test flight I'd have a good reason to get out the ol' sidewinder Force Feedback *g*

Does it support force feedback? (the consolejockeys obvously dont't have it)

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

It's not wonky. It is third person but targets the enemy you have selected. Therefore, it follows the enemy and you can see the rear of your plane when chasing, and when being chased you see the front of your jet and what the enemy is doing behind you. It works really well, at least in the air. When it comes to ground targets it is useless.

15. wyx087

search for a hack, it allows use of a LOT of planes and coop mode.

fixed shuttering: turn off Vsync :)

OFF mode is useless at ground targets, and also pretty useless without F22 or any other high performance plane. but while flying a F22, you'd be mad not to use the OFF mode.

16. Slavedriver

Slavedriver What's a Dremel?

I have voice control off and it still happens.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

haha, maybe thats the intention but thats not what it does
    its useless for everything and is by far the biggest flaw in the game
    add the 3rd person camera to the assist-off mode and the game becomes super awesome!

18. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Agreed. From playing the demo, the assist-off mode camera is utter crap. Didn't think it would change from the demo...

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That is exactly what it does for me. With ground targets selected, it sort of screws it up, but in a dog fight 500+ feet up, the OFF mode is easily your best weapon. Even without high performance jets, I find it very powerful. Although, I haven't tried the F-22 yet, so hopefully have even more to look forward to!

20. wyx087

F-22 is the best in singleplayer, either that or the XA-20 for ground support. those 2 are the best planes.

in multiplayer however, it doesn't matter about the planes, it's about the skills. even though i had F22, my housemate had the starting plane, i still lost to him due to he's an amazing pilot, simply can't get a lock-on in either flight mode.

Tags: Add Tags