1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bill Roper: Diablo 3 isn't Diablo enough

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

I personally never played D1, and i hated D2 at the time, but you know what? i bet i'll be slashing monsters in D3. Sometimes it's even better if it's not really the same as the original.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

It's going to be another gaming masterpiece butchered. I really don't care for sequels anymore because they've all been ruined. I'm surprised they didn't try to make it an FPS/RPG like Fallout 3 and call it innovative.

4. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I REALLY liked D2 - only thing that annoyed me was the font (5 and 6 were almost identical) and that was compounded by the 800x600 max res :(

D2 in D3 engine please... oh wait.... this seems to becoming a pattern for me.

5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I haven't seen D3 yet but I hope it won't look "cartoony or bright" like WoW. It definitely wouldn't fit any Diablo game...

6. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

sounds like Fallout 3 all over again... Wait and see, then slag it off once you've played it or seen it running!

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Hellgate: Cry more :p

8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Roper is full of it. No **** D3 isn't "Diablo enough", but then neither was D2! And chapter 5 of D2, Harrogath, was simply a joke. Sure it was a great stage to play (not as good as Pandemonium Fortress though) but there wasn't a shred of the dark atmosphere of D1. They even replaced the necro with a shaman. Ridiculous...

9. Davey

Davey What's a Dremel?

Great gamers quickly saw through the haze created by AOE being repeated over and over again, and so they quit playing the game. And quit they did, way before AOE was allowed to become the dismal product that it stands for today. AOE advanced past fighting those older side scroller boss level games, where D1 just died out trying to revive side scroller boss strategies.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2009
  10. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

+10,000,000,000,000,000

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I vote for more opinions on the final game.

Oh wait, it's not out. STFU and wait to play it.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Couldn't agree more.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

D3 is a new game, it's not supposed to be D2 mk 2. I wish people would stop moaning and just go back and play D2 if they want to play D2.

14. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Meh all his quote says is that he feels the game design strayed from a gothic medieval theme, but I would say that was msotly gone in D2 anyway. I did like D1 better than D2 anyway, I kind of agree with him I liked the atmosphere fromt he 1st game the best.

15. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I agree to wait for the final game, Blizzard is well know for not dissapointing a huge percentage of gamers (fans & non-fans alike). so Id just wait and see how the final game goes. even with the new trend of graphics on D3. Gameplay will still be the overall judge of the game in the end.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Given this a second thought and I think D3 will not be D1/D2 v2 and I agree with Jamie here, that's a good thing.

Although I have to agree with Vash as well, the gothic theme was gone in D2 already.
    And I have to disagree with dyzophoria... if you don't like comic-style graphics you hate WoW. I hope they don't make D3 a cross of D2 and WoW.

God, I have a lot to say today... :eyebrow:

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I think it looks incredible. So long as the dark areas are dark and the bright areas are bright, who gives a crap? The gameplay looks better than ever!

18. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Wait for the game to come out... Right. Because there's actually a chance that blizzard will do something original.

19. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I disagree... Totally. I played D1 and D2 and all spansions and i loved all. The only complain i had was the music for "lord of destruction" - what happened to matt Uelmen anyways?

Even with the cartoony like graphics (wich i only agree to a point because its 3d now, not sprite based anymore), Diablo is still Diablo! It still retains the 2.5d look and feel (to a degree), and did not ported to that &$%&%^ that Beth done with its out of date engine for FO3.

In the techincal side, have you ever saw a 3d graphic that didn't look at least a "bit" like a cartoon? And if its in the small proportions of Diablo, looks like its even harder.

When D1 was on every magazine (yes, back them the resource was magazines), everyone claimed to be the intellectual father of Diablo. No wonder why diablo was that mad! So many fathers....

Now this guy come back to scene just to say "mine was better". I just think this isn't exactly ectic.. It sounded more a "betrayed father" than someone that really cares.

20. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Total number of Blizzard games that have dissapointed me = 0

'Nuff said

Tags: Add Tags