1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Ram cooler questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sphering, 20 Mar 2009.

1. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions regarding ram-coolers.

My ram are 4 mm thick. Are ram-coolers usualy just 4 mm wide or is there made room for the thermal pads ?

So for example if I use one 0.5 mm thermal pad on each side, will I need to make them 5 mm?

And are thermal pads essential or can I leave them out? Maybe just use thermal paste?

Hope someone can answer theese questions for me.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2009
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

3. Sphering

I know, but I was planning on making some of my own.

But I don't know how wide the gap between the sides is supposed to be. Is there 4 mm so it fits the rams perfectly and you just squeeze the thermalpad between or is there made room for the pads, so the gap possible is 5 mm ?

Or is there differents between different models and brands?

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you're making your own heatsnks, why not just measure the thickness of your RAM sticks and make them to the right size? If you're using a clamp design, you don't need adhesive thermal pads and can just use normal (non-conductive unless you're very very careful) thermal paste. Adhesive thermal pads are only needed if the heatsinks are attached to the ram by the pad itself, or if the manufacturer is saving money by removing the need for a paste application mechanism.

5. Sphering

How about the conductivity? Is that an issue? Can I damage the ram if I make the cooler out of copper? Didn't think of that as a problem

6. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Not if the only thing that's touching the cooler is each flash module, there's nothing else much on RAM anyway that you can short out.

7. Sphering

Ok. Thanks. Will try and make them 4 mm and use thermal paste, I think.