1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JBOD Help?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by OutKast, 25 Mar 2009.

1. OutKast

OutKast 4

I have searched all over for this information, but all I get is adverts to buy hdds...

Is it possible, using two Western Digital Elements External HDDs, to act as a JBOD RAID type setup?

I had to split the data on both drives into A-L and M-Z but I just want to see all of the data on one windows explorer window...

Is that possible using some kind of software?

Much appreciated.

2. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

i'm pretty sure that the JBOD configuration can take 2, 3 or 4 disks but i'm not sure about any third party software management as i usually use the manufacturers bundled software & the built in raid controllers.

sorry i can't be of more help

good luck :thumb:

3. OutKast

OutKast 4

I know i can use more than 1 disk together to make it look like its one huge disk, but what i was wondering is can it be done with EXTERNAL USB hard drives?

Thanks

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It depends on the hardware and controller.

If your motherboard has eSATA and it runs off the same chipset as your internal SATA ports then it's very easy. For a USB hard drive will be far more difficult and will be limited to software-driven only. I've not heard anything that can do this.

5. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I doubt it's possible through USB connection. On most controller esata is treated the same as sata and can be used under RAID.

If you've got fixed folders in the root of both drives then you could create shortcuts in each drive's root which direct to the other drive's root folders. That should function like a complete drive as long as you don't create new folders or files in the root of either drive.

I'm sure you can do something with shortcuts but obviously a file cannot span across the drives this way as it would with a true JBOD.