1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia files countersuit against Intel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

This Shite Again?

They are just playing this back and forth, aren't they?

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

actually, i think that Intel is being overly agressive here. For once it's not nVidia being asses :p

The reasoning that the license that Intel has given does not extend to processors with integrated memory controllers is a load of shite IMHO. Intel makes processors, and licensed nVidia to build chipsets for it. Does nVidia need a new license for every innovation that Intel does? Does Intel need a new license every time nVidia builds rebrands a new graphics card?

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I feel something more is going on than meets the eye.

Intel have, as Xtrafresh says, been overly aggressive - not just with nVidia, but with AMD last week as well.

There must be a reason behind this sudden aggression - why alienate two technology partners when their technology is integrated into your own offerings? - but I'll be buggered if I can work out what it is.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Maybe Intel have a new strategy: sue all their competitors into oblivion in order to maintain market share. First targets: nVidia and AMD.

6. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

^ That's what kills me about it!
    Intel and Nvidia would make a much more powerful duo than AMD And ATI!

Maybe that's a bad thing. Considering a monopoly. :-/

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Bauul: and it will be nice strategy when Intel will have suddenly nothing to sell - if AMD licence will be terminated, then they will not be able to sell CPUs with X86-64 (that is AMD part of crosslicencing), if NVIDIA licence will be terminated they wil not be able to make X58 chipsets... Intel is playing with fire here, revoking AMD licence to x86 will make them primary target for antitrust agency to split.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

The peer-to-peer tech in X58 may not be part of the cross license agreement, but Nvidia said it was 'almost exactly the same as' PW Short. I don't know whether it is part of the cross license, but I am going to try and find out. I don't have much hope given the legal nature of the spat.

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I there a chance you could ask some big cheese at Intel what they intend to do with all this?

It's either shutting AMD and erVidia out, going for bigger marketshare, or positioning themselves for a quick profit through new license deals.

I have a theory f my own. I think they are doing the former, and want to hurt AMD and reVidia as much as they can before entering the graphics market with Larrabee. Since Larrabee is x86, it would make perfect sense for Intel to want to shield that from ATI. They also keep nVidia out of their platform. If i was CEO of Intel, i would not be scared of a forced split, i would just split off Larrabee and keep kicking reVidia and AMD/ATI in the nuts.

10. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Intel is going to try to conquer the world!!! Lock your doors and close your ports.

This might just drive AMD/ATI and nVidia to play nice with each other and maybe combine to come out with some nasty platform or something

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Surely there is a piece of paper somewhere which Nvidia signed at some point in the past with exactly what they are and aren#t licensed to do on it? If there is, it should be as simple as reading it and if there isn't then Intel's legal team will have no legs to stand on.

Maybe it isn't that simple...

12. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

taking licenses away from nVidia just means one thing, Intel wants full market share in the business.

Intel wants to enter in the high-end VideoCards market, i think this was mentioned days ago, and ofc preventing nVidia from making chipsets will make things easy for Intel.

personally i think this is great for us the costumers, having more players in the high-end videocards business means cut in prices and new technology, and having AMD/ATI already producing both processors and videocards, i have no doubs nVidia soon will be making their very own x86 processors :D, ich lso means cut in prices for this technology.

Its amusing to watch Intel with all this power-control-over-all hungry, attacking nVidia in one side, attacking AMD in the other side. Time will tell how this tunrs out. But all we hope the best result for us.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Intel muscling their way into the graphics market won't be good - at least not for the readers of bit, who tend to prefer performance and quality over price.

Intel's previous forays into the graphics arena have been none too stellar to-date, remember they're talking about GPUs integrated onto the CPU die, not a standalone graphics card. Because it cuts nVidia out of the motherboard graphics arena entirely (GPU on CPU die means there's no option to use nVidia or ATI integrated graphics; it's Intel or nothing), I don't see how this can be a good thing for the end-user generally, especially since a CPU-integrated GPU is unlikely to match the power of a separate GPU option.

And if Intel have complete control of the integrated graphics market (on Intel platforms, anyway), I don't think that's going to mean cheaper prices at all. Indeed, because Intel is going to be offering more on a single die, I'm sure they'll use that as an opportunity to increase prices, not decrease them.

As I said above, I think Intel are up to something. I just don't know what, yet.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For some reason I laughed when I saw chancery.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Larrabee is Intel's upcoming discrete GPU. It'll come to market next year I reckon.

16. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

"Intel “is planning other means to prevent Nvidia from enjoying its license to make chipsets for [Arrandale and Clarkdale] CPU products.” These include the integration of the GPU onto the same substrate as the CPU for “no material or technical benefits”"
    i'm sorry? integrating the GPU onto the same die as the CPU has no technical benefits? or is that meant to translate to "profit for nVidia"?
    any credibility nVidia might have held for me over this countersuit died with that comment

also, if nVidia choose to block out SLI on Intel chipsets at the driver level (and they can't develop any QPI chipsets) then nVidia are only hurting their own sales, as the only multi-GPU setups available on intel boards will now only be ATI and Intel. Its a market nVidia -need- to exist in, for their own sake

17. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I think that it is Intel's plan to marginalize Nvidia, let it know that it's the horse in the relationship, as it is now about to become the only company without a top to bottom computing solution(CPU, Chipset, GPU). Nvidia dug itself a nasty looking grave, by being a bully and alienating it's customers. VIA looks like Nvidia's only shot at holding a power seat in the upcoming years, but any sort of collaboration between the two seems ill fated.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2009
  18. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

You cant ignore they have plans for stand alone videocards, and we cant denied this a plan for future Intel projects without nVidia in the way.

Now with this, waht we have in front of us is a producer of CPU's, chipsets and videocards, obviusly looking to compete and gain the market of AMD/ATi, that's why i see there must be a cut in prices, maybe they will throw some ultra high prices at first, but given the great performance of the latest AMD/ATi there has to be cuts.

I see nVidia being the one with big problems, and again i bet they are in a hurry for get in the race of the x86 proccessors and step up.

19. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

There is no chance in hell Intel can lock down x86 architecture for it's own use only. Microsoft and a lot of other software developers would just drop x86 immediately and port it's software over to alternative platforms. AMD could be making a new instruction set platform.
    ARM is getting into the net err... ultra-portable segment now so Intel should not bank on x86 living forever here. That would be very stupid.

I really don't get what Intel wants with this debacle.

20. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i highly doubt MS will drop x86 for whatever reason, for the simple fact that Microsoft was made on x86. It's where their entire product base is (you could say "excluding console and mobile" but it's a given that everyone with an xbox or windows mobile also has a windows machine), and to move to another architecture will render every piece of software for a windows system unusable (face it, emulation won't cut it, especially for games, and its highly doubtful many companies will recompile their software - previous and current - for the new architecture)

Tags: Add Tags