1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Silverstone Sugo SG04-H

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 30 Mar 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

good review, but try flipping the psu over and get new temp measurements, they designed it so the psu fan extracts air from the cpu cooler.

3. sadlydefiant

sadlydefiant What's a Dremel?

not a good spot for the PSU.
    Having the PSU fan extract air from the HSF would conflict with what the HSF is trying to do.
    Nice little case nun the less.

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

With limited airflow over the CPU, this strikes me as the kinda thing that might suit a Reserator - other than the extra external box obviously...

5. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

". That is of course, if you’re into the decidedly Scandinavian design qualities, which might be a bit cutsie to bring to a Counter Strike and beer night."

Hmm, you obviously have been looking at the wrong designs then because I certainly don't feel anything we do is cutsey. . . .

from wikipedia:

Scandinavian Design emerged in the 1950s in the three Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) as well as Finland as a design movement characterised by simple, uncomplicated designs, minimalism, stylisation, functionality, and low cost mass production.

Don't see where cutsie falls into that. But still, if you like minimalistic design WITH function, then yes Scandinavia is the right area to look (or make similes of). . .

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i reckon one of these with a e5xxx and a well cooled HDMI 4870 would make a great htpc that you can pick up and take to a lan should you desire

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd also rather have a SG-03 tbh.

8. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Any chance of some performance figures with a 2nd fan fitted? I'd be really interested to see how much of an improvement there really was.

9. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

+1

10. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

SSF need to either water cool or do what server do, force air and server components are wayyyy hotter

11. Xir

Xir Modder

I guess there's no height to go with a cross flow heatsink? (as this may benefit from a flipped PSU, pulling from the inside?)

12. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Haha, yeah that made me chuckle! Scandinavian design..?? Stick to the pc reviews boys..!

Anyway no mention of the NON handle version! Why isn't this being released? Do you hear me Silverstone? I WANT THE NON HANDLE VERSION THAT IS ON YOUR SITE!!!!!

13. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Have a look:
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=NT06-E&area=usa
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220033

It was designed for Silverstone's Sugo series mATX cases. It uses the PSU fan to suck air through the HS. Obviously, you wouldn't want to stick a 140w monster under it, but it works great on 65/89w-classes of CPU.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"Fortunately though, the same mesh in the side panel is present, which sits next to the power supply mount allowing your PSU to exhaust it’s hot air directly out of the case." W T F? Someone's not thinking straight.

I also reviewed the SG-03 and mine came with the Nitrogon heatsink. The problem with that is that with low-power hardware, most power supplies don't have to work hard, and thus have the fan spinning at VERY low speed -> No airflow through the heatsink. With the right CPU/PSU combo that sort of cooler would be the optimal solution.

Oh and I like the new fascia. Sleek and stylish. Now if only they got rid of the stupid mesh on the side panel... Does it still have plastic frames? I missed that from the review.

15. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Thanks, Jipa. Corrected and edited for clarification

16. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

I registered just to make this comment, and i have done precisely because i have enjoyed reading bit-tech news and articles previously.

GO. BACK. AND. DO. THE. SUGO. 03/04. REVIEWS. AGAIN!

You cannot properly review the Sugo cases unless you use the NT06e cooler that is purpose made for them.

The NT06e cooler fits directly under the 135mm fan of a decent powersupply.

The reviews as they stand are completely worthless from a performance perspective.

I have been running a C2Q 6700 (.65nm) CPU with four GB's of DDR2 800, and 9800GX2 GPU (!!!!!!!!!!!!), and two harddrives as well as an asus xonar sound card. with no problems, for the last year.

And while you are re-writing the review i would be much obliged if you questioned silverstone on when they intend to release the non-handle version of the SG04. You can do this at the same time as you request an NT06e heatsink to review and kill two birds with one stone.

I am sorry to be such an arse on my first post, but the reason i am so incensed is because you are a tech-review site i generally respect, giving really bad reviews to tech that i know is great.

Best regards

REMF

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not a bad review, it's a 7/8 out of 10 - check the score guide what this means.

You, my friend, have purchase justification syndrome. And if it's justification you are looking for then - we do like the Sugos - we said that in the text.

NOWHERE did/does SilverStone say to us that it requires this heatsink, otherwise they would either bundle it in the box or the PR would have insisted to us as we commenced the reviews.

All SilverStone does is recommend the NT06e on its website, just like its own PSU, for the "ultimate combination" however this isn't the sole combination for any case and anyone building a system will often have their own preferential hardware they want to use.

To be honest, if it ONLY fitted this one heatsink we'd have slammed it for its compatibility. At least Shuttle XPCs include the ICE cooler with their products.

The fact you could use it in an optimum scenario is all well and good - we clearly said that the hardware we used was working within its operational limits and should work continually in the review text, but unless it's specifically required or bundled together there's no reason to solely review this pairing together. Not everyone goes to the website - they just go to an online store and spec up what they want.

To say that this needs re-reviewing with a specific hardware arrangement is somewhat overzealous, especially when you know it already works.

18. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

it is your website.

but anyone who ran a Sugo system without using the cooling methodology designed for it would be a fool. it just doesn't make sense. notably the non-handle 04 doesn't even have the side vent that allows you to reverse the PSU and thus treat the 04 as a traditionally cooled case.

i don't think you are doing bit-tech or silverstone much justice by reviewing Sugo cases in this way.

i held my tongue over the Sugo 03 review (which is the one i own, and using the older NT06 heatsink), and i recognise it is your site to do with as you will, but i felt i had to comment when the same was done with the Sugo 04.

best regards

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The fact you know it works with the NT06 and we know it works without - doesn't that provide a more varied and wide ranging result than only reviewing in one single way?

I think your words are somewhat self gratifying and overzealous since SilverStone don't provide the heatsink in the box - at least then if people chose to ignore it, it would be up to them. In no place does SilverStone require a user to ONLY use the NT06e. SilverStone itself has read both reviews and not once has it complained we never used the NT06e.

Also, you already own and are happy the Sugo as well, so why need to justify the result of the review so venomously?

20. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

ok fella, no hard feelings.

we disagree, but i don't want to cause a stink.

have a good day. :)

Tags: Add Tags