1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Cobalt raq

Discussion in 'Software' started by gbeeby, 1 Apr 2009.

1. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, been a while!

Iv'e just bought a raq1 and if im honest dont really have a clue how to use it....
    It's running NetBSD and so far i have figured out how to change the root password in telnet, thats about it!

What i want it to do:
    Samba
    FTP
    Apache
    SQL
    & maybe some kind of vpn, maybe this is asking too much?

If anyone knows how these monsters work, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, George

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

3. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

That's fantastic, thanks alot.....

Next question, does anyone know how to install stuff onto the machine..... I've heard a rumour about using the serial port?? or is it all done through telnet??

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Generally you would link it to the internet via your LAN and use the NetBSD ports collection.

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html

The NetBSD handbook on netbsd.org should give you plenty of information to get started.

I use FreeBSD on a daily basis, although I am by no means an expert, so feel free to ask here and I'll try and keep an eye out for further requests for info.

5. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

hmm...... i was hoping when i bought it that i could just type the IP address into my web browser like a router and it would just generally be easy to configure.... maybe not!

would i be better off loading the original cobalt OS, considering i really don't have a clue about this stuff?? is it any more n00b friendly?

sorry if it looks like i need spoon feeding, but i well... do

6. Zoon

NetBSD is easy enough, although ultimately its up to you.

From what I recall, the Cobalt Raqs were built around hosting and included a control panel, but if they didn't, there's no value in changing.

I can definitely guide you through getting NAMP (NetBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP) up and running.

If you're going to stick with NetBSD, firstly, you mention you can telnet to it, so I assume you've got a LAN IP set up. Have you got your DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf?

If so, try and ping a domain (hey why not ping forums.bit-tech.net) to check you get name resolution.

If you want a command-by-command guide let me know and I'll be more through otherwise I'll assume you know the basics of viewing/editing/locating files, and will skip over them in preference for discussing the package manager I mentioned above.

7. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

yeah that's the thing..... iv'e literally worked out how to plug it in, let it obtain an ip address and worked out how to login to it with telnet! so.. not much!

8. Zoon

Okay cool.

In that case, ping www.bit-tech.net and see if you can get on the internet first.

Second, if you can't, type this:

more /etc/resolv.conf

And post back here.

9. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

okay... internet is deffo working!

10. Zoon

Okay. The NetBSD install... was it on the box when you got it, or did you put it on/have it put on?

11. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

was on the box when i got it... a clean install though

12. Zoon

Okay excellent.

This is a searchable web interface for the pkg_add repository http://pkgsrc.se/

Broadly you will need to install apache, php, and mysql.

Further than that, you may want to upgrade to SSH as telnet sends passwords in the clear.

Try the following command, as root:

pkg_add apache22

If this doesn't work directly, follow the steps in 4.1.2 on this page http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/using.html then try again.

If that works, do:

pkg_add php5-extensions
    (this is what's called a "Meta Package" in that it forces all PHP5 elements to be installed without naming them individually)

pkg_add mysql5-server
    (this one will also install PERL which is required for most stuff on *nix anyway)