1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

The pressure's on! I've finally finished uni for Easter break, so I've got today and tomorrow to try and finish my design. I've allready changed my MITX module a bit, I've now gotta design and model the mATX/ATX, watercooling and storage/power supply modules. Hmm, tough going!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's a pic limit?:hehe: I just added the pics I posted in the thread. I plan to add 800x600 pron later.

@Man1c - I like that adjustable tower idea.

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

seems the limit is no more because some of you guys ignored the rules! :nono:

4. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

@ Cheapskate, thanks. ive thought bout it when looking at my brothers rack mount for his dj equipment. weird way to get inspired but yea. dont think anyone has ever tried it. im not to fond of full tower pcs, because of their bulkyness, and weight, but do know alot of people love the room they have to install many components. so why not try to make something where you can change later on to add more space when you buy extra components.

5. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Thanks Xtrafresh but unfortunately my rig went kafluey, so I don't actually have a finished design, and this is the first chance I've had to get on here.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity though, but please keep me informed of any more Sketchup competitions.

Good luck to y'all, and may the best design win

Joe

6. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I've emailed you xtrafresh. Got my design finished, well kind of.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Well i have finally got together some pictures that i shall enter as my final design.

It follows the same concept, dual motherboard support, with almost passive cooling. :D

At the moment i could send a .dxf to any machine shop and have them make every part, however i dont have the cash just yet, and i still want to tweak it a tad.

Really wish i could render but, rules are rules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea is that in the base would be one pump and the two systems are parallel cooled, when the system starts to grow, with multi GPU and CPU and anyother waterblocks for chipsets, memory VRM's or even my HDD there is enough cooling capacity to cope.

Top level is my current sig, lower level would be my server based on an E5200, or maybe go back to AMD....

lower level is PSU, pump and res. What i havent designed just yet is the break out board, each PSU would connect into it, and it would have extended cables to each level, making a PSU swap childs play.

what i really like is the alu rails that control the path of the WC tubing, i hate tubes with a mind of there own!

8. Cheapskate

A hard line system could be done. You could swap the sides out for 2 9x120 mo-ras and save some extra tubing work. It might be cheaper that way too.

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Anyone checked the date yet? I want to see what you have wrought.

john

10. _man1c_

_man1c_ What's a Dremel?

think i know what my next idea will become. already had a thought, but no real concrete plans. the adjustable case was just one that was set in stone, along with the module hdd/dvde drive bays. going to go a step further and have everything module. thats right, everything. only thing that won't be module on this case design will be the top and bottom shell pieces. in fact thatll only be the only shell parts on this case design. thinking of a pc design thatll be similar to the antec skeleton where itll be so easy to get to your parts. id like for it to be almost a great workstation type case.:D

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

when you are making the groups public?

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

yikes people, there is only one explanation for things slowing down... big fat fail on my side.

I'm being entrenched by real life (girlfriend, new job, sundaynight pokergame, beer in general, snowboarding, cleaning the house... yeah that's all in one weekend), so i didn't really have any opportunity to post a good voting thread. I kinda underestimated how much work it is.

Tomorrow night i shall make time, so voting will start then. I'll honor all your requests per mail as long as they don't involve uploading the pictures for you, that's the only thing you need to do yourself.

Please accept my humble apologies, and keep rockin' :rock:

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

After we vote - I have an idea. How about someone with the skills taking the winning sketchup only renders and doing a full on graphics render of them? Sort of a pimp my render!

john

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Or more ambitious -- how about someone volunteer to MAKE the winning project?
    (good luck with stacking all those sections ;) )

15. Cheapskate

@John - :lol: I've tried a couple of times to export my model to .DXF. I just don't have enough time to do it. On the last try I gave up after 10 hours on just the radiator cover.

@xtrafresh - My weekend involved dumping trash, swapping out a toilet, tile grout, and a killer bee hive. -Wanna trade.:D

16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I'd love to do that :D

17. Drysofar

Drysofar What's a Dremel?

life immitating art

I posted sketchup pics of my next pc earlier here is an update with some real pics

Origional Sketchup
    [​IMG]

Where its at now, about 80% finished the res is being cnc'd by plasticonline.co.uk £80 ouch.
    [​IMG]

The tops and bottoms of sides and front are going to be painted black on inside and I have a aluminium pannel to fit inside hiding the cables.

very reflecty sorry :)
    [​IMG]

Aluminium dividor pannel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Apr 2009
  18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

To be honest I think its pretty damn awesome that you have done this much off your own back :thumb: don't think anyone minds waiting another day and after all; what would a competition be without the suspense at the end lol

19. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

Drysofar, do you have a worklog for it ?

20. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I agree with Editor, you have done a great job so far. When your done you can come over and clean my house next:D:thumb:

This will give me time to work on my group page as I need to add pics and the write-up or can I just add the write up here...any thoughts guys.:eyebrow:

Scooby:naughty: