1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The Game That Made Me Cry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Apr 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Eli Vance at the end of Half Life 2: Episode 2 nearly got me...

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

yeah that was pretty bad because it just came out of nowhere

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

M'eh. I found that quite obvious. The moment he said he had something important to tell you but would have to do it later it was obvious he was going to die - though admittedly the way it was handled was very well done.

Farah's fall in Sands of Time was pretty moving too, I thought.

5. ChaosDefinesOrder

Aeris/Aerith in Final Fantasy 7? Was spoilt at bit by being over-publisised so the surprise was quashed somewhat...

6. CardJoe

Thinking about it...the ending to Outcast left me pretty shell-shocked too.

7. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Cooke and Mack's mother's death scene followed by full blown funeral in Lost Odyssey wins by a mile in my books.

Still makes me cry, and i've played past that part at least 4 times on different savegames :eeek:

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

meh i have yet to find a game that moves me emotionally. Does that make me a monster :D j/k

9. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Mass Effect and Bioshock are great emotional experiences. Little Big Adventure had a very similar presentation and mood to BG&E, if anyone remembers that.

Thinking about it, it's amazing how quickly games went from a novelty to a truly moving experience. It is a pity so few games explore immersion this way.

10. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Gears of War 2, when Dom finally finds his wife.

That is a very emotional scene. =x

11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Hah, and to think I just bought this game, too. /me closes his eyes and posts.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually there is some research (which I may get involved in, for fun) that is studying the use of virtual environments and "serious games" technologies to support training in the care of, and interaction with the dying. Games, when designed well, can be as emotionally evocative as a good film or novel. Who remembers The Graveyard Trial or Quantic Dream's "Heavy Rain" demo for Sony?

In an industry where graphics are pretty much as good as they are going to get, compelling stories and good characterisation are the future of game play.

13. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

+1. Although I wasn't spoiled. In 1997, it brought my former 6th-grade self to anger and tears, from both a game play (leveling Aerith up/incorporating her into active party) and emotional way. Looking back shortly afterward, and still today, I think it was my greatest gaming moment ever. How else could someone else relate to the main character's plight so personally?

Plus, what guy hasn't cared for someone like Aerith, minus the staff and last cetra part? Flighty, a little too naive for their own good...I think it's very personally relative, irregardless of corn factor, especially since Cloud is portrayed as deeply introverted, something I believe everyone thinks themselves to be.

It's become a vanilla cliche' (as has FFVII in general) to the point many won't admit it, but I think anyone with a soul and a genuine love of storytelling cried when Aerith died.

If not for the personally relative part, then because of the music. I know post reading this, someone will listen to Aerith's theme and get a little misty-eyed...

14. ChaosDefinesOrder

totally agree. It's one of the main parts of the story that made that game to brilliant and unbeatable since. Partly because once it was done with Aeris, it was expected in the subsequent games so never had the same effect.

Plus it's hard to forget the final (proper) boss battle when Sephiroth decends onto the screen with wings unfurling and the strings in the background! Brilliant music throughout really! I didn't have Knights Of Round when I first completed the game, that was a VERY tense final battle!

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I just finished "the last remnant" from square enix a couple of days ago. It looks like tons of other japanese titles like FF series. Tons of japanese cliches. Unreal big swords, delicate looking teenager boys, stupid teenager girls, powerful beings that can crush anyone just by moving one finger and someone close to the main character dying at some point of the game. And that superhuman baddie end dead by some sleeping power that the main char didn't knew he had until that point. Looks like the logic in japaneses mind is different from ours. We call those ridiculous artificies here in brazil "mexican soap operas". Anyone that ever saw one of those will understand that. But the game is good nonetheless.

But one REAL sad history is for Deionarra in Planescape: torment.

SPOILERS:
    Shes the ghost that appears in the intro. And yes, you start the game dead. To understand the facts, you need to know that the main char can't get killed. Hes imortal. He made so many atrocities in his life that a life of punishments wouldn't be enough for him to pay his debts. So he made a pact to be immortal. But every time he "dies" he wake up with no memory.

Then in one of his "lives" he met Deionarra. At the start of the game her ghost speaks to him after a little exploration. There she speaks of how much she loved him and how she anxious to meet him again, and that she waits patiently for his "true death". But as the game goes, you discover that you are even a lower life than you thought. You speak to one of your past lifes and discover that you seduced her just for your own purposes. You convinced her to comite suicide just so her ghost could help you in the next lifes. Then in a "contient crysis", its time for you to contact her, find the right words and apologise... Very touchy...

Even her music theme brings me tears to my eyes - really!
    Deionarra theme

I really encourage you folks to check on PST videos on youtube... For those of you that like RPGs this is a MUST have!

@Nexxo: I loved that video!

Last edited: 7 Apr 2009
  16. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Got BG&E on steam a few months ago, and i was amazed at how i could not put it down for even a minuet. Made me cry too, best game I have ever plaid.

Rob

17. McGarnacle

McGarnacle What's a Dremel?

Wait, if Pey'J dies (dammit I'm still in the slaughterhouse), then why is he in the sequel's teaser trailer, and why does wikipedia say he survives?

I'm.

So.

Confused.

18. CardJoe

You'll have to keep playing to find out.

And make sure you watch until the end of the credits too

19. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Fable 2 ending.

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Ooooooo I forgot the one that made my cry more than anyother.

IT IS FO3!

Every time i play it I cry:
    "OOOOOHH GOD! What they have done to fall out series????"

Tags: Add Tags