1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: SpeLL7 (COMPLETE 7/28 - FINAL PICS POSTED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 5 Sep 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

jegerjon: Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get this done, it seems like it's been going on forever... MDPC would be a nice honor and recognition of the time/effort I've put in.

stonedsurd: Thanks, and I've been pricing out the upgrade this morning... gah! I've convinced myself about 75% that Bloodrage is the way to go. LOL.

Fumduck: There's a little less than an inch of clearance between the PCI slots and the radiator. I should be able to get the other thumbscrews in there to attach the video card and RAID. If for some reason it proves to be too cumbersome I can just remove the radiator, install the cards, and put the rad back on. No worries.

stonedsurd likes this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Together with PURE the best color scheme I've seen recently and build quality is outstanding! :thumb:

//edit: How much would it cost you in the end to upgrade to Bloodrage + i7? [Weird how we put the mainboard switch over the CPU switch in this thread... :D]

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Hell, right now I realize how is big!
    The reddish colour is awesome, and I HATE the red :)
    Good work, it seem a totally brand new pc coloured, you've done a really good job!

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

WOW, the red and black truly are a very good colour combination. Your cable routing through the compression fittings and black tube also turned out really well. I can't wait for it all to be put together, should look insane.

5. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

perplekks45, Mino, and Boy 4rm Oz: Thanks!

Now...

For all you people screaming "go Bloodrage"... I hate you and you're all going straight to hell. :grr:

Because I now have one on its way to me...

With some luck I will have it in my hands by the middle of next week, provided NewEgg ships out of Jersey.

I have mixed feelings... on the one hand there's nothing wrong with my Rampage Formula and I wasn't intending on upgrading to i7 any time soon, but then on the other, I feel like something would be missing if I didn't do it. The Bloodrage is the PERFECT match for the case. I'd be upset that the motherboard stood out and didn't match completely and that regret would gnaw at me. But, I still feel guilty for spending this much money when I told myself all big purchases were done and over with... :sigh:. I guess it won't be that much once I sell the other gear... maybe $150 out of pocket total.

The good thing is that the Bloodrage has mounting holes for both 775 and 1366 so I won't need to get a new plate for the EK supreme. The sound card PCI bracket looks identical to the one I got powdercoated so a simple swap should suffice. I will however, need to individually sleeve an 8-pin ATX connector as the Rampage only uses a 4-pin :waah: which will suck but what are you going to do.

So, if you know anyone looking for a Q9550 ES, 8GB DDR-2 1000, and an Asus Rampage Formula, let me know... all barely used LOL.

Anyway, got the wire tubing on the other side of the motherboard tray all done and cleaned up the bench a bit. I laid out the wiring and switches for the LEDs and will get to that soon.

Another update (hopefully) early next week.:thumb:

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:clap::clap:
    You did it!
    Awesome!

What're you gonna put it together with on the CPU/RAM front?
    :rock::rock:

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well done, mate! :p :thumb:

8. The boy 4rm oz

I'd put that other tech together in a smaller case and sell the entire system, or keep it as a backup. The Bloodrage is an awesome board, dead sexy and a great performer.

9. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Boy4rmOz: I'd love to keep it as a backup but I need to fund the i7 conversion somehow :). I don't have another small case to put it in either. Most people on the forums aren't interested in full systems, everyone wants you to part out so hopefully it goes fast. I probably won't sell it until after the bloodrage is up and running. This way I can prevent tons of downtime as I switch between systems.

I still need to pick up a 920. Looking for some good deals ATM.

EDIT: just checked newegg. Apparently the package is on its way and will be in my hot little hands on Monday. Woot for one day shipping when you only paid for UPS ground!

Last edited: 4 Apr 2009
  10. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Microcenter was running a deal for a 920 @ $199 for in store pick-up only. If you have one near you, you might see if they still have it going, or wait until they have it again. They seem to do it every few weeks

11. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Yeah saw that one. Only problem is the nearest MC is 4 hrs away on Long Island. I tried to get newegg to price match but they only offered me $10 off and they sell 920s for $289. Not good enough IMO. I'm hoping to find one on the forums. We shall see.

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Win for peer pressure. Everytime I see those sleeved cables, I just jizz in my pants :p

13. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

this is a beautiful-machine.
    the foxconn MB is perfect for it.

The box does rate MILLION-DOLLAR-PC
    :rock:

14. The boy 4rm oz

Yep I can't wait to submit him when he is done.

15. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Djayness: TMI, my friend, TMI. :D

MS & boy 4rm oz: That is rather nice of you to say, I much appreciate it.

Bloodrage is on UPS vehicle for delivery... should be in my hands by lunch. I hope to get some pics of it today, but no promises.

16. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Hey hey...

Got a package from Newegg this morning... open it up and see... a BloodRage box... and... nothing else. Flip the box over... there's a 2GB Crucial DDR2 SODIMM taped to the front of the box... WTF?! Apparently someone screwed up at Newegg and didn't send me my RAM and included this DDR2-667 SODIMM in its place.

Have a chat with Newegg, they send me a return label for the Crucial, and make me reorder my 6GB of Corsair Dominators... they claim they will be here tomorrow, we'll see. I guess it doesn't matter, I still need a CPU and 8pin EPS power cable extension, so it's not like this is holding me up from finishing. Still annoying though.

But the reason you came I'm sure is to see some hardware pr0n, and here it is.

[​IMG]

This box is friggin huge... thickest motherboard box I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

A nice package they give you- multiple northbridge cooling options... heatsink/fan, LN2 pot, or waterblock (it's only 1/2" so I won't be using it). I'll likely use the heatsink/fan option and sell my (unused) EK X48 NB block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up board shots (it's pretty):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some shots of the board "installed" (more like laying in the case):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the bottom right of the following picture you can see the other side's wire tubing.

[​IMG]

This board looks like it was made for this case... looks 10x better than the Rampage Formula would.

I started wiring the LED switches a little. Probably 10-15% of the way done. This part is going to be a bit tricky. I need to get the L in very soon, it's starting to cause issues and slow me up. Before that happens all bay devices will need to be installed.

Hope to have another update soon!

Cheers :thumb:

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Wow! It really was worth the cash, just in the looks deparment! :thumb:

18. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i7 goodness! Just like you said it was made for your case!

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:clap:
    It looks bloody brilliant in there!
    I find it hard to believe you never planned for this in the first place.
    I planned both the mods I've ever done around my hardware :blush:

20. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

This motherboard find he's place in this case Crazy man :thumb:

Tags: