1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Konami's Fallujah game meets controversy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Any word on the release date?

3. CardJoe

Nope. Nor platforms.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with McNabb on this one

5. CardJoe

Me too, though my personal opinion is that this is still a bit despicable in the way that Konami is clearly just going to sell copies based on this very-obviously engineered controversy.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It would be fine if they could truly portray the horror and personal loss of those 6 days. But this is Konami, I don't think they can. If it's just another generic war game I would consider it unacceptable.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I agree with McNabb, even though I can't stand the man.

If Konami do it right, this game could probably bring more to the eyes and ears of people who don't read the news, or haven't been in the line of fire.

I, personally, don't think any real-war based video games 'glorify' death on either side, which makes it harder for me to fathom where the people protesting are coming from.

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

sorry Reg, but that's fail on your part. Sounds like the aim of the game is not to glorify it at all, but to highlight the bad parts

Then again, that's assuming the game is done properly - guns jamming all the time, vehicles not working, pick up armour labelled as "fully functional" and only get 10% armour points, insurgents dressed as civilians, severe penalties and/or "Game Over" when you shoot an actual civilian, one hit kills to the player - that kind of stuff.

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I don't see how they can pick on this one out of any other game that's based on real events, other than this time its still a current event.

I sometimes wonder if the people who protest about whatever it is that has them annoyed have an axe to grind or are being goaded along by the media. Is anyone surprised that the Daily Mail is involved with this?

10. seveneleven

seveneleven What's a Dremel?

Isn't striving for higher ratings on the news companies' part basically the same thing (profit) ?

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I can't see the problem tbh.
    Whether the game is your standard FPS bullet-fest or a story-based masterpiece that portrays the event realy well, its still just entertainment based on a real event.

Nobody seems to have issues with movies, books, documentaries, live footage in the news etc from any past or current wars so why suddenly have a hissy-fit about a game?

Retarded imo... :/

12. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

" It's on the TV, there are books about it. The game is a natural extension to that; it is folklore. The only difference being that it is presented in a different medium"

There is one big difference. TV and Books present something to you. A game is interactive.Comparing a book to a documentary or news broadcast would be a different medium. Comparing a book to a game is much more than just a different medium.

13. bowman

bowman Minimodder

'Glorified', you god damn retards, did you miss the part where Marines who were a part of the operations in Fallujah are behind this game creatively? Yeah, I'm sure they're gonna glorify it when they were there themselves. *rolls eyes*

Hypocrisy abound. I pray Konami will pay them absolutely no mind.

14. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

"It's much too soon to start making videogames about a war that's still going on"

I don't see why it makes a diffrence that the war is still going on.. indeed it is no news that wee are getting this from people who lost children in the war or seved there themselves, but please stop comlaining about this.

I just hope Konami is not just doing this to get some PR because of this, even thoug that is properly the main reason..

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

My brother in law (Marine) arrived in Fallujah like the day after the big push they're talking about here (I remember my mother-in-law freaking out. this was his first tour of Iraq (already went to Afghanistan once) and we knew where he was headed before the battle started, we actually thought he was already there when the news came.) I asked him what he thought of them making a game (He's the biggest gamer I know actually). He shrugged and said okay, it's no different than any of the WWII games. He might try it when it comes out.

17. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It's a game. Calm down world.

18. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

I can see how the game could be a natural extension of already existing media if done right but I would have thought games companies would have stayed away after Sony's "Shock and Awe" controversy, especially a company as respected as Konami.

Personally, I refuse to buy any game set in a real-world conflict. I'm not saying others should, just that I do.

19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I don't think anyone should judge the game before there is actually something to play and review. Until then, it's pure speculation.

If done well, it could be thought provoking and encourage discussion. If done poorly, it could be thought provoking and encourage discussion.

For better are worse, games are a form of art. Art can be entertaining as well as disturbing.

20. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

its art let it be I wish more company's would have the guts to do things like this. No matter what the topic as long as it is done in a tasteful manner its good.

Tags: Add Tags