1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Drill bit for cutting in shapes of Acrylic??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fleng, 11 Apr 2009.

1. fleng

fleng What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I was reading some project logs and found something I needed to read about. It was about using Fine Drill Bits on the Dremel to cut shapes out shown here;

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1544495&postcount=55

Question is, what kinda Drill Bit is that? The ones that cut woods, plastic of metal?? Carbide?? Any Dremel pros here could enlighten a noob like me :).

Also is it better than using a Router bit??

Thanks in advance :)

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

You would probably want to use the drill bit that's most suited to the material you're working with, regardless of what other people are doing.. Likely he just had a plain old plywood/drywall bit, and it just so happened to work fine. Experiment?

3. fleng

fleng What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Ive used the plain old wood Drill bit, does the work, but kinda slow and melts the acrylic. Just wanna get some good advice before I get those bits. Hopefully Cheapskate will help out :) .

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The drywall cutter works well; I've cut many shapes in acrylic/polycarbonate with it. Works hand in hand with the "Line & Circle Cutter Attachment".

I wouldn't recommend cutting metal with it, but wood should be OK. FYI, JML made a drill bit which was actually more like a milling bit; it was designed to be moved sideways through the material. It was absolute ****, but you could probably get something similar off eBay if you really wanted.

5. fleng

fleng What's a Dremel?

Nice!, I will find a 2.5mm anbd 3mm Drywall bit to fit into the Dremel's collet.

Thanks again to both posters :)