1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project...scratch build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Thatguy119, 19 Mar 2009.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

About the project

Ok, after being inspired by the recently posted project aluchill I dicided to look into building my own computer case from scratch. I settled with a Mountain Mods style cube. I am planning to make the whole thing out of aluminium as its light and reletivly easy to work with. I am planning to have a black and white colour scheme running throughout the case.

I have no idea what Hardware is going in here because It will all depend on how much money I have around and as a teenager that varies a lot.

Watercooling

2 Black ice Radiator GT Stealth 360 (using these because the nozzles are at different ends)

2 Liang DCC's with xspc resevoir tops
    D-Tek fuzion block
    Tygon tubing
    feser black coolant
    Whatever motherboard and graphics card blocks are appropriate

2. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Here are some sketchup designs of what im hoping it will look like. Im going to get tom to make a stand for the two pumps and hopefully two grills for the radiators in the roof. This makes it really easy to see what im planning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy

3. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

looking nice!

4. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

looking nice!!!

5. b00mb1ast3r

b00mb1ast3r Testdrive unlimited LoVeR

yeah great sketchup, a little q to fatality why double post?

6. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Nice, i did such a project in MDF wood. But, please, think first. I ended up in a case that wasnt easy to use. It wasnt easy to put harddrives in, wasnt easy to run cables. So, do your planning good!

7. Spoooon

Spoooon What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to see you start it! :D

8. Mokey Mokey

Mokey Mokey What's a Dremel?

I like your design, the three windows will give you a great view of all the hardware, so you better choose a sexy mobo. :D

9. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

The mobo will be fully waterbloced, hopefully a bloodrage or p6t64 workstation. One with a colour scheme. Just ordered the metel rods for the frame, postage cost more than the actual product!

10. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

OK, colour scheme. Dont know whether to go with blue and black or white and black. Help guys please.
    BLack and White:

Advantages-

Less common so looks cooler

White cathodes make case look good and suit scheme

Disadvantages-

cant get white bladed 80mm fans for mobo tray

cant get white fluid

White tubing might look over the top, but without it the scheme might seem underdone.

Blue and white:

Advanges-

can get the mobo tray fan

can use sunbeam extreme fan controller without looking out of place

Disadvantages-

TO COMMON

can look over the top

11. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior What's a Dremel?

You do know you can paint fans.....

12. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

BLack&White. Its more original, and i hate blue pc cases or Cathodes.

13. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

OK stupid aluminium people forgot to tell me that they dont accept orders under 50 pounds so I spend another hour scouting the internet looking for sombody who sold it relatively cheaply, came accross a good ebay seller. Here is the plan for the frame:

[​IMG]

14. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

looking good so far... but it seems amazingly huge :p

Are you sure that those two fans will give enough airflow? and are you having any fans mounted to the rads eventually? Or is it just staying passive as it is?

15. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

6 yate loons on each rad, two above, on one motherboard tray, and one below cooling the hard drives, also, forgot to sketchup it in but mesh on the side panels below the windows.

Also, I never do anything small, but thats just me.

16. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Ok then, I didn't see any rad fans in the sketchup, that's all

and (forgot to put it in my previous post) Black and white would look cool, I'd have a UV cathode in there as well though and a three way switch (UV/white/none), incase you fancied a change (IIRC the black feser coolant turns blue under UV anyway)

I'm sure you can get some clear tubing and cover it in (large diameter) white cable braid (or better UV reactive white cable braid... I'm sure it exists)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2009
  17. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Fans are not on there, just to lazy to do it tbh. I've seen white cathodes and it looks great, found a white 80mm and 120mm fans, braid, now its just a fan controller, does anybody know how to kill the LED's in a sunbeam rhoembus extreme?

18. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I think the black and white theme would be quite cool. At least there are several brands of black/white fans in appropriate sizes that you can get if you're not up to painting them. As far as watercooling, I've seen the Feser white tubing and it's quite clean and nice looking.

One thing that occurs to me as well... if you go with the black and white, you can always change cathodes, etc. if you decide you'd like a bit of color, i.e. black and blue.

19. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Sorry for my lack of updates people, but ive been busy with revision and skiing :( and :) respectivly. Anyway to make it up there should be quite a few coming up within the next two weeks, here is a quick one of the fans and controller.

Here are two boxes that arrived before I left:

[​IMG]

And the controller:

[​IMG]

Oh and look, clone was nice enough to sell me some painted fans, they are just yate loons but they blades sprayed white:

[​IMG]

Three wired up to the controller, only problem is, stupid blue led's that wont fit in:

[​IMG]

And problem solved, just cut one of the wires going into the LED's

[​IMG]

the fans are actually going in the last two photo's, but my crappy camra wont shot it properly.

Eventually these are going to get braided and chained into one header, and have 4 seperate groups of fans attatched to the controller, the two loops, the two back fans, and the one in the lower section. That way I can control the thermal "area's" if you will.

20. Huca

Huca What's a Dremel?

good sketches! cant wait to see more