1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MarkW7, 13 Apr 2009.

1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

What is the best version of vista?

I have seen;

Home Basic
    Home Premium
    Business
    Ultimate

Are there more?
    Which is the best to have?

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

None of them. If anything, wait for Windows 7.

3. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I have the Win7 demo but i havnt tried Vista yet, will be for another machine.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Home Premium. Everything you need, without the price of Ultimate.

5. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

i use business does everything i want plus i get legit copies for free, yay for msdnaa =)

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

qft. but 7 beats any version of vista, by a lot.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2009
  7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My laptop has Buisness, and my desktop has Ultimate edition.
    Ultimate edition was free for me. As the one on my laptop, I select Buisness because I did not care about the extra software of Home Premium (DVD Maker, Movie Maker, etc..), as I have them on my desktop if ever, and did not care about Media Center. I wanted more the Advance backup'ing features of Vista (Complete PC backup, which does an image for your computer which you an store anywhere you want)

Buisness edition has one "hidden" feature loss that is nor mentioned anywhere. Is that it does not come with a 32/64-bit DVD playback codec. So despite having Vista Buisness 64-bit. I am stuck using WMP11 32-bit with the provided PowerDVD Dell edition, 32-bit codec. :( The 32/64-bit DVD playback codec is only in Home Premium and Ultimate Edition for Vista (apparently it will be different for Win7..., but we have to wait and see).

But if I was you, I would absolutely wait for Win7, instead of getting Vista. It's not that Vista is not any good, but that a better OS is coming up in such a short time.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Depends fully on all of your disposable income and what you need it for, but for stuff such as gaming, music, internet etc just Home Premium.

10. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I thought 7 was coming out jan next year? And it's just the vista with the upgrade to 7 thats coming out in a few months, right?

11. Chris P

Chris P What's a Dremel?

Well the RC is expected by many people next month, and that the full version will be out by the years end- but their is no official or hinted launch date from MS that i've read about. They are supposed to be about to begin selling Vista with the 'free update' vouchers like they did with Vista's launch.

I do like Win7 though. I never did like Vista, something about it just felt clumsy and arkward. Win7 (even the beta) is very polished and just feels easy to use! Defo looking forward to the RC!

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Probably Xmas time, or Jan would be a good guess.

Vista is getting more expensive because it (presumably) comes from the US, given the falls in the value of the pound, everything shipped from elsewhere is costing more. See motherboards for details.

e.g. Asus Maximus II Formula - £160 at review, £185 now. :(

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

It's a long shot, but see if you can find someone who works at Microsoft or in the tech/software industry and get one of the free promotional copies of Vista with SP1 that are handed out at TechNet and MSDN expos.

I've been putting Vista off all along (waiting for 7, having loved the beta so far), but I got my hands on one of the promo copies (legally) of Vista Ultimate today.
    It expires after a year, so it's not ideal as a permanent solution, but it'll last until 7 comes out, then I can ditch it and move on.

You might just get lucky and find someone who has some. :)

14. Chris P

Chris P What's a Dremel?

I thought for people in the UK (not sure about the rest of Europe) MS software was printed and distributed from Ireland?

15. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Are you doing any research on your own at all? most of your threads could be solved by simply using a wonderful thing we call google... it's a lovely thing tbh

16. Krikkit

We've been butchered against the Euro as well.

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Ah right so it's from Ireland. That is annoying lol I need to buy Vista for my new computer.

18. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

It depends a little on what you are the os for but for most purposed Home premium is fine

19. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

20. Krikkit

You do realise that it's not a technical comparison chart, don't you? Normal people have to look at it too. :p