1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dual cassette deck PC D:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Megabyht, 12 Apr 2009.

1. Megabyht

Megabyht What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    http://i44.tinypic.com/35m16o8.png
    I tried to post this 3 times earlier today. Must be some modding god telling me to keep my post short. That, or tor sucks. Image shows all i could tell you right now - I took everything inside out, i will start dremeling the crap out of all extra unnecessary inside bits tomorrow, make a test hardware setup, and possibly buy paint. Suggestions always welcome.

Happy easter <3

Edit:

I found this thing in my fathers garage. He doubtingly said i could mod it, and since i sat on my sidepanel of my cm 33(something), it wasn't too bad an idea. Already i had envisioned how it was going to look: I wanted some sort of white with subtle black accents. Oh, and it would have to carry my hardware. Couldn't be too hard. The above picture kind of shows my ideas, the later pictures will show further progress. For now, i have pictures from the start: The thing in it's old form, taking out the insides, making a back panel for it. I hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]
    Full front view, with the hood on the EP thing and all. Looks pretty sweet already!

[​IMG]
    Side panel, schweet.

[​IMG]
    The hood, yo. I'm gonna paint it in white, oh **** im an idiot black to kind of conflict with the white of it all. I can't really explain it in better terms, i hope you can follow.

[​IMG]
    Spinnin' plates, yo.

[​IMG]
    And the back. Enough show and tell, lets get modding!

[​IMG]
    First step was to get all this crap out. Piece of cake. Anyone in the market for old, broken, obsolete hardware? Too bad, chucked it.

[​IMG]
    Empty case. plenty of potential and space there.

[​IMG]
    Was gonna try and keep the materials old an original, but this wouldn't have worked :miffed:

[​IMG]
    Home made, cuz i'm hardcore. Superglue baby!

[​IMG]
    That cheap glue will do for now. Took me quite a bit of dremeling to get it fitting properly in the back - dont worry though, it works well now.

That's it for this post! i hope it looks more like a log now that i edited it, although it's mostly pictures :p

Last edited: 16 Apr 2009
  2. Problemchild49

Problemchild49 What's a Dremel?

Interesting ; I'll keep an eye on this.

3. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

your writing skills remind me of a fellow /b/tard ?

4. Megabyht

I tried so hard to hide it. I tried to stop visiting it. Now i know none of the newer memes, and all the newfags CAKES who used to worship me, laugh at me. I have become a soggy old donut ;_;

Last edited: 13 Apr 2009
  5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Rules, gentlemen :nono:

Back to topic: I really like the idea!

6. Megabyht

"Rules, gentlemen :nono:"
    Thanks for reminding me. I generally neglect reading the rules, but you gotta be careful here on the internet :worried:

"Back to topic: I really like the idea!"
    Just what i needed to hear. Time for a nap, then i'll get cracking.

7. Megabyht

I made a mobo tray... Sort of.

[​IMG]
    Highly professionally drawing holes

I tried to find a drillbit that was small enough, but failed. Then i tried screws to make the hole first, but couldn't really get them in there, they were just slipping around. Then i tried hammering and THEN screwing, eventually i resorted to just hammering the screws and then hammering the little risers. It worked, though.

[​IMG]
    Tee hee hee, i'm awesome :3

[​IMG]
    And in the case.

That's it for this post!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2009
  8. Megabyht

Proud to be a triple poster!

[​IMG]

I hope you can see the direction im aiming for with this. I've made a HDD mount (sort of), all that rests is to finish painting everything, adding details in black, find a way to mount the dvd, install the LED and power button, do the USB ports, the headphone jack, the volume button. OK, so that's still work aplenty. I will make a decent log out of all my current posts when i wake up again, i promise. For now, rest.

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

This is a great idea for a HTPC, looks challenging.. good luck mate!

10. x_JesusNinja_x

x_JesusNinja_x What's a Dremel?

Nice start, and did you own the player? Or find it?

11. Megabyht

Just edited all the posts, made them more log-like. Enjoy!

Not knowing what an HTPC is (although im getting the PC bit), but thanks! It hasn't gotten very hard so far though.

Thanks :) And I just added it to the first post, but to save you from reading all that crap: My dad owned it for years before i took it out of the dusty garage and modded it.

[​IMG]
    The superglue wore off, i used something a little more potent - check out my l33t clamp setup.

More in a wee bit. Making good progress!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2009
  12. Megabyht

Never modding again.

This is horrible x]

[​IMG]
    Gonna solder the power and HDD led now...

[​IMG]
    Glueing in the fine tiny works of craftmanship!

[​IMG]
    This again shows how i want to combine white and black. The plastic thing is a little dirty, but it's a mockup anyway.

[​IMG]
    I seriously need to plan better next time. Dropping things accidently, drilling with wet paint on, messing with hot glue, having newspapers stick to it... Gah, and i'm all out of paint. I'm going to have to buy more white tomorrow, so the black hood will have to wait a long time. I only have 6 euros, so i can only afford one can. Saddening, ain't it.

Eh well, i learned the hard way. The other parts came out OK though, i need 2 more USB extension cables for the front ports, i've already started making brackets for them, i've decided i'm not gonna cram a DVD drive in since i have a USB to sata to waste anyway. All that rests is getting the painting properly done, mounting the psu somehow, drilling the vent holes (should have done that before painting! ****!), power button and volume knob. Then we're about done.

Fun, fun, fun.