1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows The Ultimate Fighter UK v US?

Discussion in 'General' started by Solidus, 4 Apr 2009.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Anyone interested in this show? MMA has become big in the UK over the last few years and the talent cropping up is said to be quite amazing.

The Ultimate fighter recruited UK fighters to fend off US with the ultimate winner being crowned with a UFC contract.

The reason I became interested in this show is...my friend is one of the fighters for the UK! Were all really happy for him as hes done quite well lets say ( I dont want to ruin season 9 for anyone but lets say it will look good for us brits :) )

Hes in the lightweight catagory.

Anyone watch it or follow it?

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yup seen every season since series 2. There is a couple of guys from my hometown on their as well.

Which one is your mate? The UK guys looked pretty decent better than I expected. (No one ended up on their back / passed out / missed weight at least).

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Andre winner, his brother is my best mate. Hes always been very good at MMA,hes a very nice lad despite the profession hes in.

I know the outcomes up to the final for the lightweight and whos in it, so I dont want to ruin it for anyone here but *** does pretty well .....spoiler below:

Edited so it doesnt ruin the show for anyone.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2009
  4. Major

Major Guest

When the hell did this start?

Love UFC, been watching it for years, and this sounds good!

5. Hiren

Major - The Ultimate Fighter has been around since 2005 this is the 9th series. This series only started this week though.

Solidus - Ah sweet he looked really good in the pre-lims (unlike that moron who kept wooing whilst being pounded). I think he is also from midlands?

It would be really awesome to have another Brit win the show and do well afterwards. Quite the influx of UK talent on the big stage at the moment.

Edit: TUF 9 Finale is June 20th, end of the 13 week run. Should be good.

6. Major

Major Guest

Have watched the series, just never heard anything about this one until yesterday.

Watched it last night, some good fighters there I have to say, I thought the last 2 Welterweight fighters (One guy was called Dean) should of both gone through due to the fact that they are so good, I thought the previous fighters at the start were ordinary tbh.

We shall wait and see. ;)

7. Hiren

Yeah, Dean looked good. Although he really needs to learn some triangle defense.

The first two shows always seemed to have a few "so so" guys, I wonder if it's mostly nerves or just the standard to start with.

Next week should be intersting to get a look at how the yanks do.

8. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I liked watching older UFC fights before it was heavily regulated.

9. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Saw the 2nd episode and the US team were just LOL.

A guy fainting, not making weight another with herpies.....lol

The standard of fighting by the US team wasnt impressive at all....

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Is it legal in Britain or do they all have to go over to those states in America that do it?

11. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Been into MMA since the end of the Pride era. Although only recently been really into it, UFC on Setanta live is good. Not sure how Virgin 1 managed to get the new TUF over Setanta though.

I'd also wish we could get the other shows like WEC, Affliction and Strikeforce over here (Cage Rage on Extreme TV or whatever the channel is called, doesn't count). There's more to MMA than UFC!

And in reply to the last poster, it's legal over here. In actual fact it's not really regulated here yet, for example there's nothing to say they have to drug test here, the UFC do their own though even when fighting over here.

Can't wait til the Shogun / Liddell fight this coming weekend :D

12. Hiren

Ergh the US team looked not good at all. The fact Rob Browning is on the show is enough to spell disaster.

AngelOfRage - You been following the DREAM stuff in Japan?

I concur Rua vs Liddell should be great. I'm predicting a KO somewhere in the 2nd round. Rua really needs a good showing though, otherwise his UFC career might be over.

It's funny how no one seems to see Thales Leites as a legit contender to Anderson Silva and are already looking ahead to winner of the TUF coaches bout facing off against him.

13. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Actually Dream is something I haven't gotten into yet.

I've got £20 on Shogun winning just as a straight bet with a friend and Liddell fan. So should be interesting considering everybody is backing Liddell, which will make the victory even sweeter :)

Leites could pose a threat, but only on the ground, especially as Hendo had some success there in his 1st round against Silva. But even if he can get Silva down, i can't see him keeping him down and he'll eventually catch a knee or kick going for a takedown. Or at least that's how i see it.

14. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Got to love MMA, but the seemingly huge lack of juijitsu from the american team this season is somewhat frustrating as a fan of bjj.

Ep 3 spoiler if anyone hasnt seen yet

Am I alone in being incredibly grateful seeing Rob Browning got his ass handed to him (although why the guy didnt take his back I dont know) It seems we wont have to go through all the bs of last season (I hope)

15. Major

Major Guest

What a shocking last fight that was, UFC? Bloody playground skills in that ring last match, could beat both muppets blindfolded.

Previous fight was pretty interesting, the guy that lost (funny KO to say the least) I wanted to win, I liked his style, although he seemed pretty nervous. And the guy that won, lost all respect for him at the end stating that he beat him, pfft, jumping around like a looser, shocking.

16. Hiren

Nope. The last thing I wanted to see was Junie Mark II for another 12 episodes. Thank god he got beat.

17. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

just seen episode 5.

Felt really sorry for Dean, he is a very nice guy! I met him about 4 days ago with andre as they are good friends, we all played poker and he seemed quite upbeat at the time, I hadnt realised he lost his match until I saw it !!( I didnt really ask him) but he's a really nice chap, quite gutted for him.

From what im told, Demarquez is watching the show too as its aired and he was telling dean that they are making him look really negative and bad with the editing....well...lol.

Andres fight was good, I hope the next ones are just as entertaining, its really game on now!

18. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Yeah was a good episode. The UK guys really do seem to be doing us proud outside and inside the octagon. They all seem to get on and are becoming friends, some of the US guys though really don't seem like nice people.

Dean seemed like a nice guy, perhaps abit too nice? I had DaMarques winning from the 1st time i saw him in the prelims. He defiantly looks the best the US have to offer so far.

Am hoping the UK guys continue to do well!

19. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

The first few series were bloody excellent (Griffin VS Bonnar anyone?), the later ones I just couldn't get into.... didn't even bother with the last 2 series.

Obviously with the UK guys i'll try and keep up with this one though. What channel, day and time is it on lads?

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Virgin 1 at 11pm on sundays I believe