1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IBM, Sun and Adobe join Microsoft antitrust case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Apr 2009.

1. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The people who enforce the 'monopoly' laws and sue companies like Microsoft for rubbish like this are a poor representation of what we.. the people actually want.

Everyone above speaks common sense. There is no such issue anymore about shipping a set browser with an OS.

But the politicians and law enforcers are clearly idiots.. no, retards in fact who represent only a small majority of people who want to hurt microsoft in its wallet.

Lets face it.. all walks of like are like this. People in power tend to ignore the people who voted them there, and act selfishly without any moral being or respect. There is an illusion of democracy in the west, and this is a twisted example of it.

Just watch Gordon Brown's budget next week for another example of it. Hope they all burn in hell.

2. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Microsoft already has an 'N' version of windows without media player built in to satisfy European Commission directives, that no one buys for obvious reasons. They should just nab this one in the butt now by stripping everything from that version and just have it install the windows kernal, nothing else, you install it and you get the kernal and mabee a command line, no gui, no auto-mounting of discs or hardware, nothing.

sui_winbolo likes this.
  3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hahahaha I was thinking the same! :blush:

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, because the European Commission will say that it prevent competition from other OS kernels, and should bundle other kernels with it. :lol:

If they wanted the E.C can complain about anything. Just because Microsoft has money, that it does a big impact in the news media as it's a large company, and that its an easy target. If Microsoft attempts to do anything to really defend themselves, their image would be seen as an even more evil among Europeans. (Whatever Microsoft do, they look evil, all they can do is pick the path that makes them look less evil, which means smallest media impact If they target someone else, they, as they are smaller, will take up the challenge and create big shakes. Also, attacking small/medium companies will make the E.C look bad. Imagine if they take to court... I don't know... Nintendo for whatever reason, just for the sake of argument. The internet and a lot of media would present titles like "E.C attacking small Japanese company", and crowds of Nintendo fans will complain and, heck, even make protests. And the E.C might be blames that they favor large companies that has the money to not include, what ever Nintendo has, and prevent small/medium companies from growing, or something along that line.

True or not, this is what the E.C seams to be afraid off, so they still attack the big boy.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2009
  5. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

People seem to be misinformed.

It's about the browser Internet Explorer, the piece of software that resided in Program Files\Internet Explorer and that can be uninstalled or as someone else pointed, in Windows 7 it can be removed with ease.

People confused IE Core with the IE browser. It's not the same thing!

IE Core CAN'T be removed. If it's removed than any application that ties in the ATL will stop working.

Such applications like Windows Help, Windows Media Player and MSDN Document Explorer won't work... but not only these, WinAmp, MediaMan, ATI Catalyst Control Center, WinRAR and others will stop working properly.

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

That's what I am talking about. :eyebrow:

And I'm pretty sure most people are talking about the Internet Explorer browser.

Hence the comparison to Mac OS X and their Safari browser.

7. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

I was referring to the "how can we dl Firefox then?" problem.

Windows can still dl files without the IE Browser interface... it won't be just as fancy.

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

mmkay, gotcha :thumb:

9. NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane You're a Dremel

ok so MS are in the wrong bigtime, i mean look at the wide amount of browsers Apple have allowed onto the iphone... such as the full opera browser which they mightve blocked from the app store. but yes dirty MS

10. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

What?

Microsoft let you install any browser you want on Windows.

... :s

But yeah, I don't see how this fair. Microsoft made Windows. Microsoft made IE. They should be able to bundle IE with Windows. It's their product.

If Mozilla and Opera want to bundle their internet browsers, they should develop their own OSs to bundle them with. Artificially levelling the playing field in the name of fair competition helps nobody.

Plus, the end user is free to install any OS they want. It's not like Microsoft are stopping you from using Firefox.

Someone should send every response from this story to the PR/legal departments of all the companies involved and show them that nobody supports what they're doing. If Microsoft has to change anything more as a result of this case, it's just going to hurt the end user.

And JyX, what's wrong with IE Core? Products rely on it; why should it be changed or removed for the sake of 'fair' competition?

EDIT: How can Microsoft be accused of anti-competitive behaviour when it actively encourages other browser developers? http://www.flickr.com/photos/robceemoz/2587912633/

P.S. That cake was sent from Redmond to Mozilla when they shipped Firefox 3.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2009
  11. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

Nothing... you just didn't get what I was "saying". :read:

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

It's called sarcasm, he's using it. :naughty:

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You can get Opera on the iPhone? Really? From the AppStore? Where? Because I'm not finding it anywhere.

As far as I've been able to tell, the "browsers" on the AppStore are merely reskins of Safari

14. E7130

E7130 Shinju

You're right, there is no difference. Besides, what is IBMs, Google, Adobe, etc have as a solution? MS should load their OS without a browser? Look I like FF more than IE, but you can't please everyone by loading every known browser on an OS. Also how do you plan to get people to the internet the first time?

I guess an application could pop up and you select which you want to install, but that is kind of stupid.

I am glas MS is allowing IE to be disabled in W7, but I sadly many companies only support IE for a browser so you cannot access or download certain things from them.

15. DarkLord7854

It'd be great is Microsoft just announces it won't be selling Windows to Europe anymore nor push Updates to Europe. Would make them all STFU and quit complaining in order to be able to have Windows :lol:

16. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

You guys need to get your sarcasm detectors fixed. :lol:

17. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

For ready made systems I would assume that a browser would come pre-installed just like the pre-installed OS, and it would be down to the retailer to choose which browser they would bundle with the OS. For system builders it wouldn't be a problem either, with so many application backup disks. So their arguments do have merit imo.

18. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

I'm amused that some people think you need a browser to download something from the Internet.

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ho ho there. Fancy smart guy that thinks he is smart.
    1- We mean easily and fancy way to download it.
    2- We consider average user, as Windows, unlike *inux, is (tries) to be for everyone.
    3- Wrong community to show off. :nono:

20. DarkLord7854

Your average idiot user who can barely use a computer as it is will never be able to figure out how to download something without a browser and a giant 6 foot by 10 foot button that says "DOWNLOAD"

Tags: Add Tags