1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 20 Apr 2009.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I got this in a cheap deal at Game the other day, started playing it and so far it seems very interesting. I must've been out of touch with gaming at the time it came out, because I don't remember hearing anything said about it. So - anyone played it? Is it good? The whole 'undercover' trust mechanic seems really cool, though I'm only 1 mission in so far.

2. blackacidevil

blackacidevil What's a Dremel?

It was so buggy that Ubisoft dropped all support for it.
    SC:Chaos Theory is the best one imho.

3. boiled_elephant

Uh-oh, do I have a GTA4-esque experience ahead of me then? :(

4. blackacidevil

blackacidevil What's a Dremel?

I couldnt really get into it - i didnt even finish the first mission. Obviously some users will have different experiences, but apparently its the buggiest of the 4.

5. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Just played the first Splinter Cell and completed it this weekend and I very much enjoyed it. I guess double agent is a development on the original games of the series as the main stealth mechanic for this game is light and dark and staying in the shadow to stalk your pray. I got into this game after a while and really enjoyed it, didn't pay much attention to the story just like the stealth element but that was out of the window on a few occasions when Third Echelon gives you permission to kill! Will definitely try and play through the rest of the series.

6. K

K 528491

Whatever happened to that new Bourne-esque one? Is that still in development? I'm not a massive fan of the series but I thought Chaos Theory was absolutely brilliant.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Chaos Theory was epic, but I must say I've not played that one properly.

I bought it at release and tried to play it, but it just didn't work. I ended up stuck in a white box for the training and unable to do anything. Nothing fixed it, so I flogged it. :(

8. boiled_elephant

That would be the one I'm playing now. It's out alright :)

You begin watching your partner die on a mission-gone-wrong, preventing a missile launch in an offshore terrorist compound. Sam's life spirals downward following the death of his daughter/wife/girlfriend/important person in a hit-and-run. He gets into a fist-fight and kills a man, is sent to a life-term prison full of the country's hardest convicts with the non-explicit, off-the-record objective of befriending a man inside who's a member of an increasingly active terrorist cell playing havok in the middle east.

You befriend the man, aid him in starting a chaotic, riot-based prison escape, and escape with him. Once inside the terrorist facility, you're instantly given the objectives that will preoccupy you for (I'm guessing) most of the game from there on: planting a virus in their mainframe computer, delaying their strikes, taking out critical members, gathering intel, and so on.

You can see them all immediately - the challenge is in doing it without arousing suspicion. At all times during all missions for the terrorists, you have trust meters for the NSA and the terrorists: do too many uncool things like killing people, helping them pull off terrorist missions, etc. and the NSA begin to trust you less. Botch things up too regularly or sabotage things too quickly, and you lose the terrorists' trust. If either falls too low you'll either be abandoned and hunted by the government, or executed by the terrorists.

In short, it's an earth-shatteringly awesome concept. I'm still waiting to see if it makes for good gameplay.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Double Agent is good, I finished it, I think the super-imposed 'make a choice' sections are a bit naff though, forced upon, and not really free for you to realistically choose.
    Good like all Splinter Cell games :)
    I recently reinstalled Chaos Theory, and unlike many of you have said, have found it to be worse than I remembered :(
    Still, I might get through it again at some point :)

Also, to the white box issue, I had that with Pandora Tomorrow and a Nvidia MX4400 card, as the SC2 was only designed to work with FX cards. Solution: upgrade graphics :)

10. K

K 528491

The one I'm on about is called Splinter Cell: Conviction. It's set after Double Agent... I can't believe it's still in development is all.