1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Red Alert 3 PSU mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Beef Supreme, 15 Apr 2009.

1. Beef Supreme

Beef Supreme What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. I'm planning on building a PSU mod based on the soviet power plant from Red Alert 3. :dremel:
    Do any of you know where I can get some sideview shots of the plant? I have tried the SDK tool, but I only get the "ingame top view". And plz dont just say google, I have tried :sigh:

This is the best I have atm. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. Beef Supreme

So, with some great help on the RA3 forum, I managed to create a pretty good model in SketchUp.

[​IMG]

Based on a screenshot I took in the RA3 SDK

[​IMG]

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

This looks awesome! How will you connect the psu to a computer?

4. Beef Supreme

My plan is to use a non-modular PSU, and sleeve all the cables together to make the feel that its only one fat powercable going from the plant and into my comp.

Other than that, I think I'm going to create some sort of panel, so that I can connect the cable on the outside, and have separate cables going from the panel and then to the components inside.

Also, I was thinking about making a ciruitbort inside the plant that has 4 or 5 LED's inside the cable so that it will start to blink at the plant and then continue all the way to the end of the cable and then start over.

*=========
    ==*=======
    ====*=====
    ======*===
    ========*=
    *=========
    ==*=======
    ====*=====
    ======*===
    ========*=

You see my thoughts?

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

wow this is going to be awesome! hope your planning on doing a project log beef!:rock:

6. Beef Supreme

Oh you can count on that my friend. My only worry is time. I don't have very much time on my hands to work on stuff like this, but I'll sure as hell try my best.

7. Beef Supreme

So, I think I have found the best way to create the main structure. I can cut out cardboard circles for every two inches upwards in the same diameter as the structure, and then stack them on top of eachother with styrofoam in between. Glue it all together and cut each piece to create a model.

When the model is done, I can make a cast and then finally, use glass fiber to create the finished product. Of course, I have to create two halves, and fit them together, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I have also started a bit on the electronics. I ordered some veroboards and stuff yesterday, and I'm sketching up circuits in Multisim atm, so I will order som CMOS circuits when I have figured out exactly how I want it. I'll post a pic of my sketches later

8. Beef Supreme

[​IMG]

There you have it. It will blink through x1 - x8 @ 2Hz and start over

4093: NAND schmitt trigger
    4013: dual D flip-flop
    4024: 7 stage binary counter
    4028: decoder

Last edited: 21 Apr 2009
  9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You have to watch a modder who designs circuits rather than just grabbing a PIC and saying I'm done.

I watch. :thumb:

john

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Up until the circuitry, I understood the idea :D

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes!

11. Beef Supreme

Hehe, well ok. This pic should explain a bit more. (Look at the bottom)

[​IMG]

(actually, it stops at 0000000100 and starts at 1000000000 again)

Theoretically, it would be possible to jump straight from part 1 to part 4.
    The reason that I made it a bit more complicated is because those spikes in voltages might not be straight lines up and down. They may contain ripples along itself up and downwards.

Skipping ahead in the circuit, we see that the clock-pin 1CLK is inverted, so it will do its thing when the signal goes from 1 to 0, not 0 to 1.

Back to part 2. This circuit has a function called a "Schmitt trigger". It triggers on certain voltages so that you get the perfect vertical lines in the signal that you want. This eliminates the ripple.

Forward to part 3 again. This is the data flip-flop. It sends whatever it gets in on the 1D pin out via 1Q and the opposite out on ~1Q.
    ~1Q is then connected back to the 1D, which makes the 1Q go from 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 on every other clock cycle. Smart ey?

Part 4. This circuit simply counts upwards in binary code. +1 for each clock cycle. The binary code is sent out through Q1 - Q7.

Part 5. Here I take the binary signal that I get from part 4. When the binary code is 000 (1), Y0 will be set to "1" and the others to "0"

So thats basically it. I think I have gone enough into detail on this one for now.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2009
  12. Beef Supreme

The electronics are coming together. I've made Part 1 from the sketch above.
    Tested the signal directly on a green LED, and it worked perfectly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Beef Supreme