1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 2.1 Speakers with Digital Optical

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gushy, 9 Jan 2009.

1. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Guys,

Anyone know of any reasonably priced 2.1 speaker sets that have a digital optical input? I need to buy a set to hook up to my TV.

Yes I know most people will probably say the only time to use the optical is with 5.1 going through an amp and I should just use normal speakers; however I don't need 5.1 and I don't want to have a separate amp.

All I need is a set of nice looking (important) speakers that will be an improvement over the crappy built-in speakers in my Samsung TV. I want a set with a digital optical input because the normal headphone socket is on the side of the TV which means having to have the side flap open all the time and a cable sticking out, which looks nasty.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

optical output will require a DAC at some point in order to convert the digital signal into anology signal.

Therefore any 2.1 speakers would be fine, with a DAC. PC world have got logitech Z-4 for just under £50 and there pretty good, but you will need a DAC.

3. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

makes sense I hadn't thought of things like that. must be somewhere I can get a small DAC.

4. kakashi6992

kakashi6992 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 22 Apr 2009
  5. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

So it is possible to find a 2.1 set with digital in. Excellent, thanks! Now to see if I can get these in the UK......

My monitor isn't the Touch of Colour, it's a Syncmaster SM933HD.