1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU D0 stepping vs. C0 stepping?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rozzy, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Rozzy

Rozzy I'll get there :P

Hi,

As I slowly edge closer to being able to purchase my new computer I've been keeping a keen eye on what hardware I'm looking at and what prices it's at.

I've been looking at a core i7 920 processor but have noticed that lately there are different versions popping up on certain sites. These are the new D0 stepping version of the chip. After the talk about the retail 920s having an unlocked QPI link and memory multiplier, what advantages will these D0 stepping chips have over the previous retail chips?

The chips seem to be a little over £10 more expensive than the previous 920 retail chip, so, is the extra little bit worth it?

I may have missed a trick completely here and missed the news at some point but could someone please fill me in :D

Cheers
    Ross

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Generaly the improved stepping of a chip makes it run a bit cooler or more energy efficiantly and usualy better at overclocking.
    I belive the new DO stepping chips are substantualy better to oc with.

hitman012 likes this.
  3. Rozzy

Ahhh, awesome, cheers!

I'll probably look towards one of them then, I suppose £10 isn't too much to pay.

Has anyone directly compared the two, or had experience with both? Was just wondering what the actual performance difference was between them?

Cheers
    Ross

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Seem a couple of tests.

The new D0 stepping is slightly better with Overclocks of 4Ghz-4.4Ghz been easier and they require less Vcore to get there.

not sure on like percentage better though.

The chips will vary but its safe to better that you should be able to achieve a better overclock than C0 stepping with slightly less voltage than previously needed.

5. Rozzy

Awesome, I'll opt for the D0 stepping version then. I'll just have to lay off the sweets for a week to get the £10 extra that I'll spend back :D

Cheers
    Ross