1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Question about speaker setup!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mansueto, 21 Apr 2009.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

So I may be in the market for a new sound setup... my el-cheepo basic logitech 5.1 system just ain't doing it anymore... My dilemma is I've heard soo many good things about the z5500's, but I'm wondering what benefits does that have over say me buying some stack stereo speakers and hooking em up to a decent Yamaha receiver... then I can have a really good 2.1 system for my TV and DVD player and pc, and have potential to grab some rears and a center down the road for a complete 5.1... I just got a job at bestbuy, so I can probably get a decent deal on a Yamaha receiver, and they do have JBL and Infinity speaker stack things...

Should I drop around 400 for the z5500's, or would I get better returns from my own setup with a receiver... If so, could anyone recommend some good bang for your buck speakers since I don't wanna be dropping 1000, i was aiming more towards 600-700ish... If I have to cut back a bit on the receiver I will, as long as I still get a decent brand one I think i'll be alright... I've already been suggested to get some quality studio monitor speakers, but I don't know what I'm supposed to look for in those...

Your comments will greatly help as I'm noob to audio:wallbash: specifically any decent products worth special mentions, brands would be great.

Thanks!

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

The z5500's does the job nicely. Of course it's not the end-all of 5.1 setups, but they play loud, sound nice, and aren't that intrusive. Of course you could mod them wtih wood enclosures too if you want. but 400 for the z5500 is a lot i think. Depends on your wereabouts. Here it goes for €280 in a high street store.

3. mansueto

Well I was talking Canadian dollars... they retail around 400ish, I can probably get them through work for around 300ish plus taxes... I know the Z5500's are great, but was wondering if I would get a bit more from my own setup and receiver if I spend a bit more money also with some studio monitors or something... A nice 2.1 to start with, and then upgrade in the future possibly or something...

4. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

A quality 2.1 is way better than a cheap 5.1

Since you are in Canada, why not go with a NAD surround reciever? They make some almost affordable products too.
    I would start with a basic stereo setup, add a sub later and some rear's when I could afford it. Get yourself a reciever that will support all of that and build from there.

Sure it will be more expensive than a logitech setup but, when Rambo let his M60 off on the screen, your smile will be that much bigger!

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I Suggest the 5.1 receiver option. then grab one of theses.
    http://www.bgears.com/b-enspirer.html
    real time DTS or Dolby Digital encoding sent out to the receiver.
    I've been well served by my older model Digital X-Mystique for years.
    Then when your able you can get some sweet speakers and a nice high power receiver in time.
    Personally some aperion Intimus 4B Harmony SD speakers and an onkyo TX-SR806, though thats a HT receiver but still gold.

6. mansueto

Would I be able to keep my current asus xonar instead, don't really wanna replace it, and I'm happy with it... I was thinking reciever, set it up to my tv and soundcard for 2 different inputs, for pc through fibre optic, then just go from that through the receiver?

I was looking into stereo monitors, but they just dont seem to work for me, they seem amazing and all, but the pre-amp and everything is a bit confusing to me, and i'd rather have surround for my room for my tv also...

7. Herr_SturmGeist

Herr_SturmGeist What's a Dremel?

The Logitechs are great for an all in one system and its also cheaper than receiver plus speakers option. I'd suggest looking for a good receiver now (even second hand) and get the best pair of speakers you can afford to start with then complete your surround setup, by the time thats done you can spend some cash on a nice current tech receiver. Whichever you get, enjoy them :D

8. mansueto

I just got a job at bestbuy, first day is Saturday, so I'll look into a Yamaha receiver, I've got 3 at home and when we went to buy our TV and sound systems that was one of the higher end models we got, and we are very happy with em... We got a 5.1 Bose system with a Yamaha receiver in the basement, a 7.1 Bose system with a Yamaha receiver and DVD player in the other basement, and a 6.1 Bose system and Yamaha receiver and DVD player in the family room... We are happy with all 3 systems, so think it's safe to say I'll want a Yamaha receiver, and there's a good chance I'll get a really good price on a receiver since I'll be able to get them at cost plus 10% through work :D