1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Whatchioosit? Driver crashed and restarted...but didn't

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iddqd, 23 Apr 2009.

1. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

So I've been having some video card problems lately. I've updated my graphics drivers since December (I say December b/c that's the last time I reformatted) and yet this problem still persists.

I have a BFG 8800 GTX 768MB OC with the latest drivers. Here's a screenshot of the error I get:

[​IMG]

Completely wiped and reinstalled the drivers - no change. This usually happens when I load TF2 or L4D (the only source games I have installed), and I think it's related to the overlay it uses. Please tell me someone else has had this issue and knows how to fix it!

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Latest whql or beta drivers?
    I had trouble with some recent beta drivers.. they'd install, but would reset after a reboot to a standard vga driver.. very annoying. Once I installed the whql drivers, it's been fine.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

On ATI cards the cause to that is usually overheating.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Try different drivers?

Seems to be a problem with Steam and nVidia drivers as far as I could see on the web.

5. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

The driver's I'm using are the latest official drivers - my next install will probably be the omega drivers (if they've been updated since the last time he was online).

Any other thoughts? How can I go back to previous versions of Nvidia drivers (without having to scour google)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i some times had that exact driver problem with 8800GTX when folding AND watching video. updated to gtx260 was problem free until recently Folding started to crash again.

i think it's either due to unstable drivers or due to the memory on the card are dying. well, since switching to gtx260 didn't have any problem with exact same driver as 8800GTX.

7. perplekks45

kenco_uk likes this.
  8. kenco_uk

9. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Downloaded both - the drivers from Guru3d are exactly the same as the nVidia drivers, FYI. Same name and everything.

10. perplekks45

I just gave you the link because they have older drivers there. Not because they're any different. It's official and leaked ones, yet still all come directly from nVidia.

Maybe you SHOULD give Omega a try.

Oh, and cheers, kenco. :)

11. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

I stuck with the most recent drivers and did the cleaning. Last night played TF2 and L4D for about 2 hours with no issues!

The only main problem is now Avast! won't run (my a/v) - I need to uninstall it, but something's broken there too... lol.

12. perplekks45

Get AntiVir [Avira.com], flawlessly working for me. The only time I had any problems with it was 1 day after the release of Windows 7 Beta. :)

Oh, and congratulations of course. Enjoy your [hour-long] gaming sessions. :thumb:

13. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Well, first hiccup - just had nvlddmkm.dll crash again. Going to revert to a previous version.

14. kenco_uk

May be worth reinstalling motherboard/chipset drivers.