1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Akasa Vortexx Neo

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TobyKing1982, 23 Apr 2009.

1. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I have just installed the Akasa Vortexx Neo onto my XFX 4870. Eveerything is working ok except for it is very loud. I think the fan is running at 100%. What can I do to slow this down it sounds like I have a helicopter inside my case!! My standard fan was much quiter!!

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You can use programs such as speedfan, or the graphics card tuning program that usually comes free from your cards manufacturer and tune it down manually...

3. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

Yeah I have tried that. I went out and bought a fan speed controller today and to be honest I didnt notice any difference in volume or performance so I have stuck my old stock cooler back in (it might not be a reference cooler - maybe one they put on after themselves). Does anyone else have any advice because I especially like the blue glow I get with it.

4. viking88

viking88 What's a Dremel?

These "Akasa Vortex neo" so called quiter replacement performance fans which says on the box they are 4870 compatable "Which is NOT correct" in my view as the fan connector on these Vortex neo's is just an ordinary female 3 pin fan connector like you get on all case fans.BUT the 4870 does not have a 3 pin connector for the Vortex neo to connect to.The 4870 has a mini 4 pin connector..So the Vortex neo is incompatible!..Akasa don't even put a cable adaptor inside the Vortex neo box so you can connect the Vortex neo's fan onto your 4870..
    The only way to get the fan to work is connecting it to one of your motherboards 3 pin case fan connectors..So this means the vortex neo fan will not get faster or slower insync with the temperature of your 4870 gpu.Which is what the standard fan on the 4870 originally does.
    I'm really very unhappy with this Vortek noe.I bought one and the website I bought it from said it was compatible with the 4870 ATI video cards.The Akasa website says it is compatible but it is not as the Vortek neo fan has the incorrect fan connector so the fan will not work correctly like the standard fan does.If you connect the vortek neo upto your motherboards 3 pin fan connector then you can either run the fan at full speed all the time so you have what sounds like a tornado in your PC case, or if you control the fan via your motherboards bios and set the fan speed to slow then when you go to play a PC game the 4870 GPU will heat up but the fan will not speed up to cool the GPU so you have a good chance of burning out your 4870 GPU and/or ruducing your 4870 lifespan as the fan will be set at a constant speed.
    You can't use speedfan to control the speed of the Vortex neo fan as speefan will not be able to read the 4870 GPU temperature so willl not be able to control the Votex neo fan speed.
    Akasa should post out adaptor cables to everyone who has a 4870 and bought one of the Vortex neo aftermarket coolers...Everyone should email Akasa the more emails they get the more likely they may give us a mini 4 pin to 3 pin fan cable adptor ......

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You can plug it into the mobo and manually adjust it to the highest speed you can stand the noise from... My 8800 GT's stock cooler speeds up and slows down, but I didn't like it so I just cranked it to 60% and its perfect, doesnt go over 65 in games, and it isn't too loud... Try manually adjusting it, I know it's not intended to work like that after spending the money for the product, but you may notice something worthwhile.

6. viking88

viking88 What's a Dremel?

Hi yes thanks for the advice I will have no choice but to probably try the same as you and set the fan speed via a manual fan speed controller maybe some thing simple like a Fan Mate 2 will work ok with the Vortex fan..
    I wanted to hear how loud the fan was on these Vortex neo's so I just connected it upto my PSU 4pin molex to see how it would look and sound.The fan wass quite at it's normal speed so that is good.
    I do not have a fan controller connected right now so the fan is running at max and it is quiter than the standard 4870 fan which is on my XFX 4870 card.Maybe I won't need a fan controller but I would have really preferred to be able to just plug the vortex into my 4870 onboard fan connector.The Akasa website nor the sellers website had no info that these Vortex neo's could not be connected to the onboard fan connectors on the ATI 4870 cards.
    Shame on AKASA for that.
    I think next time I will buy a Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo, Dual Fan VGA Cooler or one of the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2, Fanless VGA Cooler which costs £19 and looks good as it is fanless but canhave a fan fitted called a Turbo Module.