1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow this is a nasty project

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Thaifood, 27 Apr 2009.

1. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Sorry, I forgot that guests can't see our profiles.

[​IMG]

2. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I think that some days however I am sure it will all of been worth it one day when we are old and grey and in the old folks home together.

3. bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 What's a Dremel?

Please excuse my posts here to a certain degree. I'm trying to be helpful and at the same time get 10 posts so I have the ability to PM saspro on these boards.

uncle_Fungus, are you from Stanford? We've had issues in the past with people WU dumping and had some points removed, as have other teams. I'd just hate to see that happen here. Don't worry, I'm not a NARC either. ;)

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Dont hate the high point value WU's, they keep your PPD healthy and runn cooler on your hardware. Atm my rigs are being thrashed to bits on 511 pointers, which is keeping my PPD well below what it should be and making my hardware run pretty warm compared to normal load temps.

5. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Not directly, no. I administrate their support forums and I'm part of the client (not cores) development team, as well as providing various 3rd party tools etc.

WU dumping is not tolerated and there are a number of server measures in place that prevent it damaging the project.

6. bigtoyota479

That's good to know! I just wanted to make sure that what I said wasn't taken as a threat. It's a very touchy subject for most teams, and I can't blame them for that.

Anyways, on to bigger and better things. Sorry for the rambling, and if I offended anyone.

7. Unicorn

Don't dump WU's, the whole point of the project is to process and simulate what Stanford need us to. It is on many levels a competition but let's not forget that the roots of this project lie in helping Stanford understand proteins so that they can further their medical research and ultimately help others who suffer from currently untreatable diseases.

If I get a large WU I just tough it out and let it run. I'd say of all the units I have completed this week, more than half were those tough 511 pointers but you just have to live with it or get better, faster hardware to run the client on.

8. decido

decido What's a Dremel?

just thought id say how lucky i feel getting 3 of the big points WU in a row just after i get my new rig running :D bet i get the gpu killers now tho :(

9. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

I finally seem to be free of the 511's. Thank god.

10. Unicorn

Wish I could say the same :wallbash: My 9.5K PPD rig is sitting on 6.5 at the moment because of 511 pointers :( I guess I just have to sit it out...

11. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

You're not alone. 5 out of my 9 GPU's are currently running the 511's.

12. bigtoyota479

Yeah, they've hit our entire team pretty hard. I hope they're gone by the time the Challenge gets here.

13. Unicorn

As I understand it though when one team gets em, all teams get em. At least its a level enough playing field that way.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've been getting less off them recently I must say... I'm somewhere between 7.5k and 11k ppd now, projects permitting, according to FahMon. I've got my 285 humming along at 1770MHz, but I've still not got the second quad-core running just yet :)