1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Computer won't turn on

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by notatoad, 23 Apr 2009.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i just took my fileserver apart to reposition some sata plugs on one of the power cords, and now it won't turn on. there is an LED on the mobo that turns green when the power is connected, and it is currently duller than it normally is. i'm certain i didn't short anything, all i did was pop the connectors off and put a little more space between them. is there anything else that could be causing my PSU to be screwy?

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Have you tired removing all the unnecessary things? CD drives, card readers etc.. How old is the PSU? It could be on it's way out.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it's my fileserver, so there are no unnecessary things. it's a 480W PSU running a single-core processor, 5 hard drives, and nothing else. PSU is about 5yrs old, i suppose it could be on it's way out but it seems weird that it would all of a sudden stop.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Have you got a spare PSU you can swap in? See if it helps.

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

psu's do just stop...weird i know but my enermax 650w went like that. I was gaming on it, shut down, tried to turn it on the next day and it peeped at me. It died. but try a spare if you have one, just like the mars bar man said.

or, and this is also a weird one, but my bros pc was turning itself on and off, the switch on the front of the case had gone...i found this out after testing evrything, all we did was swap the power switch for the reset switch on the case and it worked, he just doesnt have a working reset button on the front of his case :p

FATMAN

6. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

mrb_no1 is right PSUs do just die, I had 4 Hypers die on me about a year after they had been installed, all within 3 weeks of each other.

Try taking the PSU out and connecting somthing to lead it (like a big fan or HDD) and short between the green wire and any black wire on the MOBO plug. This is how the 'on' signal is sent to the PSU from the MOBO, if your PSU is working it should start ok.

Even when your computer is off (but still plugged in) there is a supply to the MOBO to allow 'wake on LAN' etc... So if it doesn't start your PSU is dead, if it does it may be your MOBO not passing on the ON signal from the on switch.

jimbo

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I would pull the board out and set it on a table.. eliminate any grounding issues like that- boot it with the minimum outside the case.. narrow it down from there..