1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Tom Clancy's HAWX

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by opi4613, 27 Apr 2009.

1. opi4613

opi4613 What's a Dremel?

Just bought hawx of the internet £17.99. I really like it! Anyone else played it and what do you think?

:D

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i love it, playing on xbox 360 controller is a must.

this game and Grid together worn out my old xbox360 controller, had to buy a new one (well, that and the fact the connection cable is getting dodgy)

F22 dog-fights Cheesecake

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I played the demo, and with my Cyborg X joystick, it felt very arcadey, in that you didn't have any precise control over the plane.
    For example, if you pulled back slightly on the stick, you got nothing, little bit more, still nothing, little more, still nothing, then little more and it went too far.

Needs some form of fiddling with the sensitivity and movement rates. Its the same problem I get in NFS Pro Street with my G25 in that you have to turn the wheel to full lock to get any turning in game.

I suspect that its been made to work best with the Xbox controller as its multi platform, and so joystick support has been a bit of an after thought.

It may well be better in the real game, or after a patch or something. I'll hopefully be able to find out soon as I'll probably be ordering after I've finished my uni work.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I saw this reviewed in CPC, it got me thinking that I've not played a game where you shoot crap out of the sky for years.

So, would you guys recommend this or are there other fly-ee, shoot-ee, missile-ee type games out there you'd favour over it?

:D

5. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

I usually play FPS games but totally enjoyed the HAWX demo. AM tempted to buy it, the only thing that stops me is time to playe it . . . .

6. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

its crap, don't buy that shaz.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I played the demo and loved it.

The Off mode combat is top notch and got me hooked on the game.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Best go hunting for the demo then hadn't I... :)

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Its definatly one of the only modern combat flight sim. In fact, I think its the only one, thats got up to date graphics etc.

@wafflesomd
    I can't stand the off combat, it never seems to work and seems completly unintuitive to me, I'd much prefer to just fly from the cockpit.

10. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

think i may have to look at the demo and see what it is like haven't played a game like this since flight sim 98

11. wafflesomd

Are you using a controller?

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

No, I'm using a Saitek Cyborg X joystick. It never seems to fly the way I want it to, I don't like it how the camera is constantly moving and is never directly behind the plane, it would be much better like that IMO.

It does look cool in OFF mode, but its sooo annoying for me, :D

13. wafflesomd

Don't bother playing this game with a controller.

That's my suggestion.

14. opi4613

opi4613 What's a Dremel?

Nah its epic with an xbox controller, there is a massive dead zone with most joysticks. The game is designed for xbox controller and works really really well.

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I got bored playing the demo.

The ground looks rubbish close up and the bits where the people are talking looks like old rubbish graphics. Look at the plane selection bit and compare it with viewing the cars in grid in terms of graphics hawx looks crap.

I don't think i would even want it if it was a couple of quid.

16. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

My my, way to go for your first post. Such a grumpy entrance :)

I think from a playability standpoint, Hawx offers us an arcade plane shooter that we haven't seen since afterburner :)

17. books

books What's a Dremel?

I found it super boring too. I think it's just a case of personal tastes though, like everything. It's not a bad game but it's in no way a 'sim'. It's just a simple action shootin' game that happens to take place in the sky. It's not bad but I'm just not really in to arcade/action games.

18. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

agreed, I also find it far too arcade-like to be entertaining.

19. wafflesomd

Well aren't you just full of win...

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Its definatly an acarde style game, and in my view, thats how they wanted it to be.

Its one of those games, that you can have a quick blast on, get straight into the action, and have fun. Theres not that many combat flight games around, that are realstic (by that I mean, real planes), and as I'd just gotten a joystick, its just the sort of game I'd been waiting for.

FSX is good, but it takes too long to get going, and you can't shoot anything out of the sky, :D