1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ringo's la ultima [11-03-07 update]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ringo, 26 Apr 2009.

1. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Hello together,
    I want to write my log also here. Why I want to do it. I want to train my English writing.

I started my new project in May 2007. The first part which I want to built is an reservoir for the next water cooled PC. In February 2007 I had to make a practical course. I had there a little bit time to think about several things. At that time I read the log form the dark blade. I see that great reservoir. I think I can built it too. But I want to make it more complicated and without CNC technology.

First I draw some models in CAD, you can see it in first figure. This drawing is only a rough concept. The most parts of it should be built out of acrylic.
    [​IMG]
    The water should flows through an acrylic tube in the reservoir. At this tube are some blades, this rotor is powered by the flowing water.

So enough of the inducing words. I want to update the rest in the next few days.

Let's start with some pictures.
    I start to cut the bottom and the top acrylic plate. I cut it with a band saw and a brand new blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this I grinding the edges. Then I milled the edges with an round chamfer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I get some oddments. I built some inlets, this was the first design idea, it wasn't very fine. I drilled a 1/4" thread in the acrylic to fit a fitting. I rounded the front area at the band grinder. Later I had a better idea. You can see it later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step was to cut the acrylic tube with a diameter of 150mm. I grinding the edges with a special grinder and a 2000 graining sandpaper. While the grinding I made some experience, so that I grind the acrylic only wet. If you grinding wet, you will get the best results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is the grinding machine.
    [​IMG]

In the next figure you can see how I milled the notch in the bottom and top plate. I used a router to mill it. I used water to cool the chamfer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made some side walls for the reservoir. These are built out off 5mm thick acrylic. I had to adapt two edges at the radius of the notch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that I started to design the wings for the rotor. I started to built the first form, however I can't built it symmetric. Then I used an old vase to bend the acrylic. I had to heat up the acrylic at 160°C. The final wings are made out off red acrylic. First I cut it out with the band saw. Then I glue it together with a double sided adhesive foil, to grind it, so I get the same shape for all wings. I cut the inside form with a scroll saw. Then I bended it with the vase.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think that enough for the first post.:D

Last edited: 7 Mar 2011
  2. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

that's too much for the first post !! :) good job m8 that's going to be BIG ress

nice blades concept

3. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

huhu ringo

4. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Ok lets make a additional update to get the rest, which is done.

I make two outlets out off acrylic. First I cut it out with my bandsaw. Then I hat to fit them to the outer diameter of acrylic tubes. After that I grind it with a gand grinding machine to rounding it. Then I grinding it with waterproofed sandpaper. At last I polished it. But I have to do it again, because i got some cracks in it.
    Here are some pictures. It is easier to watch at pictures, than to read.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then i started to build the seal clamp, I will call it dog bone:D
    I cut the round shapes with a router, the straight edgesare cuted by my bandsaw. After that i drilled some holes to fit it with the bottom and top plates. The first idea was to use screws with a M3 thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I started du produce the wing clamp, the first one was made out off acrylic. I cut ist out with the bandsaw, the hole ist milled by the router.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can the the first test, if the rotor fits in the acrylic tube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The following picture indicates the final shape. The inside diameter is 20mm and the height ist round about 7mm.
    [​IMG]

The red wings are bolted.
    [​IMG]

Later I will add more...

5. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Nice reservoir design man! :thumb:

Also was wondering where will you put such a large reservoir?

6. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I hope that the last post i write will to be approve quckly from the mods. I think my picture resultions was a little bit to large. I changed this in the last 2h.

I have to add round about 60 pictures to complete what's happend. At the moment I have problems with the bonding of the tubes. I will post it in the next few days. I have also made some design concepts for the hole Case. And curently I work at the final design with some technical solutions. The reservoir is one of the eye catcher in this project.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This really is remarkable craftsmanship. You are doing a fantastic job, everything is very clean and your plexi work is amazing.

8. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the very positiv replying.

I start with the final design off the inlets. In the next few figures you can see some sketches, which I made by hand. I'm not the best free hand ilustrator, however it is enough to get a idea of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I copy one of the sketches on an acrylic plate.
    [​IMG]
    The next figure illustrates the out cuted inlets in a tribal style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To get a rounded shape of the tribals i have to grinded it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the greatest problem was the bearing of the axle and the rotor. The first Idea was to use Teflon. The advantage is that I can use it to transmite some light. But it wasn't good enough for the bearings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Than I wanted to use ball bearings. The problem was to get some with ceramic balls.
    After I find someone I started do design a bearing mounting. The next figure illustrates the CAD model.
    [​IMG]
    The next few figures shows the baring mountings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use a conventional lathe to produce them.
    Here one picture of the finishing.
    [​IMG]

On the other side of the axle I have to use a friction bearing.
    I have only pictures of the finished bearings.
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures how I drill centical blind holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These friction bearings ned a sealing. I cuted it with the lathe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thinks that are enough pictures for this post. I allways think figures are saying more than thousand word.:D

9. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Ninja

Lovely cutting.
    I am amazed by your skills that kills that pay the bills XP

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Very nice machining.

11. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

very nice good work looks sweet

12. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot.

Now I want to present the rest, what I have done.

I start with the acrylic axles, I cut a few acrylic round stock with a length of about 120mm. Then I facing one end and drill and tunrning the bearing mountig for the ball bearing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then i facing the other end and I drill a hole in it with a diameter of 8mm and a depth of 80mm
    [​IMG]
    It was really hard to drill this hole, I need three trails to get a good result. At one try I melt the acrylic along the drill. It was hard to get the drill out of the acrylic without to break the drill. I used air to cool the drill, at the and I used pressurized air with a preasure of 6 bar.

After the testings of the test reservoir I started to make a aluminium wing mounting. To get the final shape I have to use the lathe, the mill, the band saw, sandpaper and files.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next figure illustrates the final wing mounting and the outlet tubings.
    [​IMG]

While building the reservoir I make a test example, to test the function of the rotor. The plate which I made are out of polycarbonat. The thread which I needed to bolt the bearing mountings are cuted drirectly in the polycarbonat. I get some trouble with the M3 thread. So I decided to make many thread insert. Some are made out of brass. They have an outer diameter of 3.7mm and a M3 inside thread. I use this to mount the arcylic tube on the bottom and top plate. I also make some thread insert out of a M5 thread rod, I have to cut a M3 thread in it. This was absolutely terrible to make them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok thats enough. I will finish the reviewing in the next post. I will also post some videos from the different testings.:D

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Fantastic work. I like the homemade wet cut tubs for your grinders.

14. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

you got mad skills!
    i like your work with the acryl.. it's really beautiful!
    can't wait to see more

15. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I gave my best, but I also make many Mistakes.

Now I hope to post the rest what I have done yet.
    I start to present the rest of the producing, than I wirte some about a few tests. At last you the the premiere of a huge relapse.

I startet to cut the acrylic tubes. I get some truble while I'm cutting. The tubes have some inside stresses. After one step i have to tempering the tubes, to reduce the heating stress to prevent cracks.
    Now a few pictures of the cutting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I cutted it, I started milling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next figure shows the tempering.
    [​IMG]

I had some truble while the milling, so I had to do this four times.

Here are some pictures of the fitting test.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also bonding some thread inserts in the acrylic plates
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The following pictures shows the testing of the brass thread inserts and how it should works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also milled the noutch for the sealing.
    [​IMG]

I also made some feeds for the reservoir, I turned it.
    [​IMG]

I had to make a self grinded chisel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This pictes shows the front feeds whit the inlets.
    [​IMG]

Then I started the bonding of the different parts. I make a test part to see the results.
    [​IMG]

I have to grind the parts with 2000 sand paper to get no cracks inside the acrylic. I startet the bonding with adhesive with overplus to get a air free bonding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At one side I had to much air, the bonding was not complete, so I had to fixed this. First I cut a noutch, then I grinding it, finally I bonding it, but I used to much pressure and I get cracks in the acrylic. This is the last, who I do.:wallbash::waah:
    The next pictures show the destroyed acrylic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have two options. The make the tube new, or to cut 10mm off of the hole height. Today I start the test cut. Why I make a test cut. I wanted to know I this works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the end of this post I will show you the function tests I made.
    I start to mill the noutch for the tube.
    [​IMG]
    The I build all together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now the promised videos.
    The first was a principal test
    [​IMG]
    Then the videos with the test reservoir.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you can criticise me. :D

16. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:
    Breathtaking

17. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

reminds me of the dark blade project, almost the same style.

Nice work, better than most of us here!

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

OMG man that is something crazy!!! Perfect man!! Excellent!

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I see much skill here!
    [​IMG]

I watch.

john