1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Speakers aren't being recognised.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by elcamo1990, 26 Apr 2009.

1. elcamo1990

elcamo1990 What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I recently reformatted my pc as it started playing up and had loads of crap on it anyway, but ever since windows has been reinstalled my speakers are not working. I have reinstalled the sound drivers for my motherboard but an audio device is still not being recognised.
    Any ideas?
    thanks, cam.

2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish The pastry of the Internet

Download the latest drivers from your audio maker?

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Check the device manager, if the audio chipset has a qustion mark or a red cross then the drivers arent there, from there you can make that device update its driver, if you have the disc handy.

Also was this a re-install of the previous OS, or was this a clean install of a newer OS, like XP to vista?

4. elcamo1990

elcamo1990 What's a Dremel?

yes this was a reinstall of the previous os xp, in the device manager I cant even see anything called audio chipset, only audio and game controllers?

5. Falcon5757

Falcon5757 What's a Dremel?

Check the bios to see if the onboard sound is enabled, you could also try buying a soundcard, its worth installing the sound drivers again, i had similar problem.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I've encountered this problem with eMachines, Dells, and Gateways after an XP reload. The motherboard audio codecs just disappear.

Go here and get CCCP.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

all the codecs a man or woman or modder could want. It fixed all the systems I had trouble with until Vista. Different animal

john

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I encountered a similar problem before, and found that getting a pci soundcard was the way that had the least hassle.

8. Gman22

Gman22 What's a Dremel?

I would recommend installing KB888111, which is a High Definition Audio class driver. Once you install this, I am willing to bet you will see your audio device(s) show up in the device manager. You can either contact Microsoft for it, or you can find it on a third-party website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Gman22

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

Make sure your audio on your system is set to be "speakers" and not something like digital output.

Everytime I reinstall windows winamp doesn't work, and its because I need to set it to use the same output as my realtek drivers are using, which is also my speakers.