1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 XP Mode won’t work on some Core 2 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

Oh ffs.

3. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

My first thoughts exactly. When I read about Windows XP compatability mode for Windows 7 last week, I had hoped it was going to be a complete, universal solution to Windows Vista compatability problems. Now I know my PC can't even use it.

Just when I thought Windows 7 was going to do us all a favour and break the trends started with Vista...

4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

VXP mode is also a little slow compared to most Virtualisation programs. According to Anandtech the screen doesn't update fast enough for most games. It seems to be designed for the businesses that mainly use 2D office apps. Tough if you need 3D support and quick refresh rates for the screen.

I might need to keep XP alive for a while yet. Although Vista plays better with Diablo than my install of XP ever did >:)

Andy

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I don't see this really makes a difference. The vast majority of programs will work anyway, and for that absolutely have to run obsolete software they can - provided they have a legitimate copy of Windows XP and Virtualisation support on their CPU.

In reality 99% of businesses are going to stick with Windows XP and 2000 anyway because they can't be bothered to upgrade - its seen as an unnecessary cost.

6. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I hope this is sarcasm, because this tech is nothing new and can be done right now on your vista install with virtualbox and an XP license.

7. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

To be frank this is to be expected, the only way XP was ever going to be included in Win7 was through virtualisation, and a pre requisete of this is a CPU that has hardware-assisted virtualisation technology

I would point the finger of blame more at Intel than MS, look at AMD, all their newest CPU's have hardware-assisted virtualisation technology.....

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

if this is using Virtual pc to run surely HW virtualisation isnt required but would offer a significant benefit?

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Looks like they've tweaked the integrated copy of virtualpc to require hardware assistance, as the standalone copy of virtual PC certainly doesn't require that at the moment.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

11. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

I understand what people are getting at. My position is that we have some legacy software here that we already know doesn't run correctly on Vista, that we will require for another few years or so. (It was actually written for Win 95 :worried:)

When I heard about Microsoft intentionally incorporating XP compatability into Windows 7, I believed that it was about to provide a handy solution to many of the problems being faced by XPs upcoming obscelecence.

Yes, we know about virtual PCs. The point still stands that they require an XP license on top of the Vista / Windows 7 license, and you have to buy the virtual PC software too (granted some are free). Even so, buying two OS licenses makes it a fairly costly solution, and also an unviable one for new PCs once Microsoft stop selling XP discs. Plus it isn't as elegant as the solution apparently being presented in Windows 7.

What I was getting at is that as usual, Microsoft appeared to put a simple upgrade path in place, only to immediately add caveats and complications to it.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

cool the old overclocking goldenchild e6600 is supported.. looks like you need 4m of L2 cache

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Exactly my thought, hippo.
    Running an E6600 @ 3.6 GHz 24/7 I'm looking forward to using that. :)

And if I got it right, the XP license comes with the virtualization tool anyways, so that won't cost you anything on top.

14. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

If one really needs to use a legacy OS to run an important app, they could always dual-boot, though its hardly an elegant solution. If you need to use legacy and W7 apps concurrently, you could always use 2 PCs and a KVM, yah for clutter.

15. perplekks45

Try to explain that to the average employee.

"All you have to do when you want to use this program is fire up that 2nd PC over there, turn the switch on this box... wtf? The third person whose head just exploded today... nice."

or

"Why don't you dual-boot XP and 7? You just have to... HOLY ****! What a mess!"

16. Turbotab

I wonder why IT departments get a bad rep:p
    I've seen a dual machine KVM used perfectly easily by a regular employee, they were in accounts / finance though, so perhaps were a tad more logical than your avg peep.

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

if the e6600 works will the q6600?

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I work on a IT Helpdesk, trying to get technophobes to try and use complex systems is part of my job!

Actually most people can cope with 2 PC's and a switchbox fairly well.

Though i can see your point with a virtual OS, just last week i really struggled to explain the concept of remote desktop to one of the more clueless users here, took a while but got there in the end. a virtual OS is going to appear the same to them, so it is do-able :)

19. Turbotab

Yes

20. perplekks45

I remember at my last job we introduced Office 2003 and people's heads already turned bright red... and we switched from Office XP.

Sometimes being a nerd/geek can be very frustrating. :sigh: ;)

Tags: Add Tags