1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Which garmin should I buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by mystvearn, 6 May 2009.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Hi,

I want to buy this Garmin nuvi, but a quick visit to the site and I found there are tons of garmin nuvi. I have no idea which one I should get.
    I will only use it in the car.
    Must be able to upload maps from third party.
    Speed camera detection and route planning would be nice as well.

Any suggestions?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

From what I was reading the other week the Nuvi 265WT is the one to go for.

I've got a Nuvi 250 and it's brilliant for the money, my Dad bought himself a 1370T, and it's great (the lane assist thing is utterly genius), but a little pricey.

They're all good tbh, much better than any TomTom I've found.

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hmmm, this has convinced me to look into Garmin when I'm next looking for a GPS, my only experience of them is my brother's, but that was one of the very first, and it's awful (but they all were back then) - not really fair to compare that to modern ones!

4. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

they all cost over £100. Know where to get it cheap. I just checked amazon

5. Krikkit

This is the one I've got - the maps took me to the ass end of Belgium and back without a hitch in September.

The software's excellent, the only slight downside is that the maps are about a 18 months old now, so once in a while a new road junction crops up that it's not quite aware of. It still tells you what to do though, so it's not like you're stuck!

For £85 I wouldn't hesitate to buy another (and didn't, in fact, I bought one for my GF to use too).

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I hate mine. Wanna buy it? I even started using an actual paper map instead.

7. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Why is that? Well PM me for more details then.

How do I know which garmin has the latest maps?

I'm just going to the highlands for a week and thats why I'm thinking of getting a garmin to find my way. If there is a rent services which I could use, that will be perfectly fine as well.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1

I worked in an electronics store (privately owned, NOT currys!) for a couple of years as a salesperson/ electronic engineer and the Garmin satnav units were the ones that we reccomended people stay away from. We sold Clarion units only (we were actually the Clarion dealer for NI) and never had a single problem with them. They use great mapping, they have an excellent interface and most of all, they are extremely accurate.

I own a Clarion MAP670 unit. It was the top of the range model at the time, although I haven't kept up with their products since I left that job. I use it a lot in my own line of work, and the times that it has really come in handy have been when I travel over to the mainland via car/ van for work or to the Multiplay iSeries. It has taken me straight to the door of Newbury racecourse from my house here more than once, so I really do swear by them!

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's the best way to go, really. Sat-navs are a waste of time, just get yourself a regular map at less than a tenth of the cost, then learn how to read it. That, bundled with some common sense will be way more accurate than a sat-nav device will ever be. Paper maps Cheesecake!

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Used to drive 50-60k a year and all I needed was a A-Z.

11. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I could not find A-Z in WHSmiths anymore...

No idea if its out of stock or maybe they just don't bother stocking up again

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

When I get home I'll find out which one it is. Only bought it in November.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I survived fine without a PC before, guess I should just throw this one away then

Garmin really need to strip down their product catalogue, there's just too many that are only slightly different

14. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Thanks.

Yes, Garmin has too much items. Evn Nokia and SE phone models are less complicated than this

15. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

I love my 750w

16. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

The higher end Garmins get better and better, the lower ones seem to be beaten by other brands. Personally i love my TomTom XL V2, though I was tempted by the Garmin 265 when i found reviews. Trialed a lower end one (250? i think) for a day, and then swapped it. Seemed a bit slow, with a lack of options, and a way of displaying maps i didn't care for.

RwD

17. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I know this is old topic, but I don't wanna start a new thead on basically the same topic.

I read that the newer garmin's are all buggy. The 1240 range and above. Been reading reviews at amazon too. Is it really that bad?

18. Krikkit

Have a look for a professional review. Quite honestly I don't trust joe public to review a complicated device with any kind of impartiality.

19. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I go to trusted reviews. But professional reviews only review the product when they get it or when its new. They don't live with it. Failures after few weeks of usage will not necessary be registered by professional reviews