1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU New PSU Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IDrinkFosters, 7 May 2009.

1. IDrinkFosters

IDrinkFosters Eh

My PSU recently died (Coolermaster Real Power 700W) and I’ve been on the hunt for a new one. I’ve read a few reviews and they all seem to advocate Enermax or Be Quiet. I’ve been using Coolermaster PSUs for quite a while now so I can’t say I have any knowledge of Enermax or Be Quiet. One thing I do know is there a lot more expensive than Coolermaster. Now I don’t want to skimp on a PSU and end up buying some cheap rubbish but I’d prefer not to spend an arm and a leg. My other concern is the cables, I’d like it to be modular and if possible I’d like a lot of misc cables (I’m not aware of the proper term). What I mean by this is cables with extra molex connections (I have an Antec 1200 so there are lots of fans to be hooked up) and extra SATA power connectors (I’m forever adding hard drives).

The tricky bit:

I want to add two new hard drives and a water cooling loop to my system. My old 700W ran my rig with no incidents but I’m a little concerned that if I go with another 700W PSU it won’t be able to run my future rig.

System specs as of now:

E6750 @ 3 GHz
    2GB Ballistix 1066 MHz
    4850 X2
    Asus P5Q Pro
    2 x Sata Drives

Now if I add a water cooling loop, 2 further SATA drives and I try and increase my overclock, would a 700W PSU be able to handle this? I’m an avid gamer so I’m sure my PSU takes a lot of stress.
    Anyway, if you could help me out of this dilemma I’d be hugely grateful.

Thanks

PS. I found this, doesn’t seem a bad deal to me, any opinions?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152159

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

700W is more than enough. Have a look at the Bit-Tech reviews for good PSU's, the Buyer's guide is a good place to start. :)

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I have the Corsair HX620 and love it. I would recommend that for your setup. although you might start reaching the limit if you start to upgrade too much (i.e that 4850X2 -> 4870X2)

4. IDrinkFosters

IDrinkFosters Eh

Corsair is another make I’ve hear a lot about. As for reviews they all seem to conflict with each other :duh:.

5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

look for good reviews that actually load the psu, not ones that just put their free review sample into a computer and if it works, it gets a perfect score
    jonnyguru.com
    hardocp.com
    are good ones.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650W.

Whisper quiet, stable as anything and I'm really glad I paid a bit more for it than any other.

CPC Premium Grade when they reviewed it a year ago clicky.

I haven't seen a bad review about it to be honest.