1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 XP Mode won’t work on some Core 2 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 May 2009.

1. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Why the hell would anyone blame MS for this issue? Why has no one in this forum damned Intel for being retarded for mixing up the virtualisation on its processors?

I praise AMD for keeping their CPU lineup fully featured!

I really hope Intel is the one to get the black eye for this one.. not MS.

:edit:
    PT88 pointed a finger at intel

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Another benefit of cheaping out and going AMD at my last hardware upgrade

3. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I don't understand the complaints by non business people on this TECH savvy crowd. :wallbash:

I have Windows 7, XP Pro, and Ubuntu installed on the same computer. It was just as easy to install one as it was three OS. :eyebrow:

Maybe I expect to much from this site I'm so addicted to and it's people. :D

I've had no problems with all three, and I love it. You just need your main HD to be of adequate size.

I googled "Install XP and Windows 7" to get you all on the right track that would like to do this. This was the first page on the list:

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista

I can get from one OS to the other quickly, my computer shuts down and boots up in about 26 seconds. I don't like the virtualisation, there has always been bugs with it. Plus I love the benefits to having 3 systems if one screws up.

I believe this is a better way and I've been doing it for a few years. All is not lost, you still can have both. :thumb:

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

meh, IMHO those incompatible CPU should be forgotten.

virtualisation is a must have, it makes Folding as fast as running natively, it makes Vmware run very fast and it's a must have.

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

that was my first thought but it wasn't really MS bashing, just random complaints

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Oh baww, this isn't the retail version. It's going to be patched soon, who really cares. This is why people use RC1, to find bugs.

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

My Q6600 is safe then?

Sweet.

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Ahhh,

I love my Intel E6600. :) Is there anything that this chip can't do?

Currently she's been overclocked to 3.2 Ghz, up from a stock 2.4 Ghz, air cooled to 33°C. :):rock:

10. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

Haha, I noticed this a couple of days ago when I tried to use it.
    "Virtualization is disabled in your BIOS, enable to continue"
    So i restarted, enabled and yay i was back on my way. Got to love lenovo for sticking a real cpu in the x60. Awesome, I didn't remember that it had virtualization.

11. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Okay, fair point. It isn't just MS that are to blame for complicating the issue. I just wonder why they couldn't have written the XP mode software so that it would at least run on PCs lacking the virtualisation feature, albeit in a slower clunkier manner. I guess having thought about it rather than bashing the limitations, we should be grateful that MS have at least tried to improve backward compatability compared to Vista; the addition of this feature suggests they've been listening to their business customers and are trying to address some of their concerns with legacy software.

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

None of the lower end Intel CPUs support VT, including some of the quad core Penryns. The other thing that needs to be remembered though is that this will not be a default feature on release, it is an additional download for the RTM which is available for the pro equivalent editions only. I'm not sure if they'll include Home Premium in that or if it will be just Business/Enterprise and Ultimate only.

13. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Well this is a kick in the nuts for some people. At least there's the likes of VirtualBox...

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

That seems likely to me.

I suspect they want the virtualised version of XP that's built into 7 to have the best performance it can, so that it doesn't get a bad rap in reviews or from joe public.
    It's not like anyone who doesn't have a compatible CPU can't just install VirtualPC and virtualise their own copy of XP if they need to anyway.

Most people who've tested 7 so far will probably tell you that you aren't going to have too much trouble with XP software running on it, and when you do you can either load up this XP compatibility-mode if your CPU supports it, or just Virtualise XP yourself.

Not the end of the world, nor really a big deal. :rolleyes:

We've been dual-booting for decades now when we need to, this is a step in the right direction for backwards-compatibility no matter how you look at it.

15. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Look.

Intel released 2 versions of their Core2's since the beginning

The good ones and the Cripples.
    The cripples are basicly the good ones minus cache and advanced technology.

So basicly, this is Intel's way of keeping their **** affordable going wrong.
    AMD's cripples (tri-cores and stuff) can do it all :)

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

As Zurechial said, it is a tweaked version. But in Windows 7 you just run the program from the start menu or where ever and it runs XP compatibility mode. It is transparent, you don't need to start up virtual PC or anything, it just works.
    The other advantage is that the program has direct access to the CPU rather than an emulated one. This makes things a lot faster

17. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Thats just crazy.. why should MS have to make up for an Intel SNAFU?

AMD has a long line of processors that support visualization... its a base feature, not a hunt and peck..

Tags: Add Tags