1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Interference noise from front panel audio ports

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Queelis, 7 May 2009.

1. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

Hello there,

I've recently bought a new PC, and there is this one thing that is very annoying - when I plug the headphones into the front panel audio slot, there's this interference noise (buzzing or something like that) whatever I do - be it selecting some items on the desktop, scrolling through a web page or watching a video. The latter is especially annoying, since when there's nothing going on in the video or if I pause it, the noise is constant.

Connecting the 'phones to the back connector gets rid or the noise, but I want to connect loudspeakers there, so I need the front connectors as well.

The case is an Antec Sonata Plus, the mobo - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4. Front panel connectors are connected through HD Audio, tried changing that to AC97 - no effect; the drivers are the latest ones from Gigabyte's website.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what could be the solution? :sigh:

Thanks for your replies.

2. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I have a sonata and its the same here mate, just gotta live with it or use the headphone socket on the speakers if you have one.

3. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

It's because the cable that runs from front-audio headers on the mother board to the connector
    picks up noise generated by fans, PSUs etc.

The best solution is to somehow shield that cable or change it with a shielded one, or to use the connector on the speakers.

4. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

Advice picked up from other forums - to cover the cable in aluminium foil. Then, ofc, wrap in some isolator again :D

If I do that, will see how it works.

O.T. Would make sense for motherboard manufacturers to put the front audio pin outs in the side nearest the front panel, not in the opposite. Very strange.