1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases Mineral oil PC build! Updates every second day!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Oh man I went into the pet shop, they sell 1200 litre an hour water pumps for 35 aussie dollars...I was thinking, why the hell did I just pay 60 dollars for a 400 litre an hour xspc pump....

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

1200 litres an hour for $35AUD, what a steal. I have an Eheim pump left over from my brothers now empty fish tank, that was something like $55 and pumps 800 Litres per minute.

Really interesting that the bubble block dropped your temps. Have you looked at the bubble trays? They are similar to the block but are designed to sit under the gravel and cover the entire bottom of a fish tank.

3. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

i'd imagine that the air traveling up would be absorbing some of the heat and taking it to the top of the tank where it dissipates into the air? i guess...

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah I was having a look at those but its really neat that the bubble block is rock as opposed to something plastic which would do SFA to temps.

They tried to sell me fish too but i mentioned that i wouldnt need em lol

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

AHAHA. "Would you like fish in your PC sir?" LOL.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think what's happening there is that the bubbles just make the oil move thus bringing "fresh/cool" oil to the components.

Did anybody get what I mean?

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah thats true, the veggie oil is quite thick and the pump strains a bit to pump it.

Thanks for subscribing to my youtube btw :p

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You're very welcome. Talents should be supported, right? :p

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Cheers :)

I'll be emptying out the case in a few days and making some adjustments including installing the power button and smoothing out some of the edges.

Theres quite alot to go from here and I also need to find a place to put this thing, ontop of the kitchen fridge was never really a permanent position decision :geek:

10. Kewtdz

Kewtdz Hydros Core

wow looks good. a little crazy but pretty awesome.

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

looking good just checked out the youtube clip of the bubbles they look insane, i keep having to remind my self that stuff is non conductive fluid, love it.

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah it was a bit of a jump venturing into oil cooling.

Its messy though and the benefit you get from an entirely cooled setup is quickly undone by the cost of oil, the problems associated with installing new hardware and just generally getting to your motherboard!

13. Alu-Tech

Alu-Tech What's a Dremel?

Wow. looks good, great work:thumb:

You have a movie part 2? I see only part one..

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

LOL wow caught me off guard there, I havent worked on this thing in a while and my roomate has been using it to play WoW (which I dont condone coz its totally sad).

I have a few other projects im working on, ill be starting up a big 40cm * 40cm dice scratch build soon and that will look pretty much like a massive dice...I get some strange build orders but hey!

When I get the time I will finish off this build, the only parts that have to be done are the lighting asthetics and thats pretty much it.

15. orry

orry Modding Addict

looks great! your good with the perspex :) on another note though i hear is that oil is hygroscopic and the bubbler might speed that process up a bit?

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Ah I had to look that up just then.

I didnt find anything specific but I was under the impression that oil is hydrophilic and has a lipid layer that doesnt allow water absorbtion. There is a fair distance between the bottom of the tank and the electronics so any water that will form, will form down there. Its been running 24/7 for a few months now :p no problems as of yet!