1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Daisy --- May 19

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tec_, 10 May 2009.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

Project Daisy

so let me explain the name first. Ford motor company uses code names such as project petunia and daisy to confuse there competitors and keep people guessing as to what they are working on. Project Daisy was fords reinvention for the Shelby Cobra. This project has nothing to do with the cobra at all. i just like fords code name to keep people on there toes.

The Work Space

now that that's out of the way let me start with my work space.
    its a mess ive had issues with upkeep with all the travel i do for work.
    [​IMG]

so i busted my but and got it all cleaned up
    [​IMG]

The Case

it seems that every one is doing one so i thought why not ill take a crack at it as well. i picked up a Apple G5 of of ebay the was billed as having some surface scratches. there was a stock photo so i took my chances and ordered it. im planing on painting it any ways so some scratches aren't going to matter

[​IMG]

it even showed up with some plastic sheeting still on it for protection
    [​IMG]

on to the "scratches" when i got to looking at them the turned out to not be scratches at all but scuffs from some kind of black rubber or something.
    [​IMG]

so i busted out the goo gone and some elbow grease and you can't even tell there was any thing there
    [​IMG]

im not sure what they guy i bought this case off of had planed for it but there were marks and measurements all over the inside of the case.
    [​IMG]

The Bad (I Need Help With This Part)

there is no disk drive i have no idea what im going to do hear how im going to mount one or shroud it so that it looks like an original.
    [​IMG]

the latch also seems to not be complete or missing something. i cant seem for figure out how it latches the door shut, if any one could shed some light on this i would appreciate it a lot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First Set of Parts

i picked up a set of vandal proof switches and a lian li mobo tray

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whats Next

whats next is to seek out sponsorship. im posting this thread on multiple threads and hoping the product review im working on for cooler masters will help. and im hoping my winning the Ctrl+Alt+Del Digital Over Load PC modding contest and getting published in the June issue of CPU Magazine will help me out.

updates will be slow at first im seeking new employment that will not have me travailing as much as i am now, as it is im only in town on weekends and i have lots of other things that im also working on.

Last edited: 20 May 2009
  2. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

+1 one apple G5 case :D
    !!!

subscribe!

3. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

I will keep my fingers crossed for your sponsorship ;) Hell yeahh again one more G5 case (they are sexy ass hell without modding - but useless with original parts :D )

4. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

good luck on your mod! :thumb:

regarding the dvd drive: I think the dvd drive cover lian li makes has a similar mechanism: perhaps you can butcher one to work with your g5?

EDIT: I think i misread your post. Is it just the dvd drive missing or is the dvd door mechanism on the front of the case missing as well? I think you can make a new plate to mount the dvd drive on, mr bean did that on his bad apple worklog.

5. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

thanks man ill try not to disappoint

so will i, im hopping my last case making it in CPU magazine and product review im working on for Cooler Masters will help a lot

the whole drive and door assemble is gone from the case so ive been trying to find ways to make it look like an original.

6. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

well guys nothing major with this update. just some more work on the shop wile i look for sponsors and a new job that will keep me in town and hopefully put me at a work bench.

so as you may or may not know with my case mod win at Digital Over Load this past year CPU gifted me with a PC that they built for there Staff V.S. Staff build. its nothing special it was for a budget PC build, but i thought it would make a great PC for my shop. so i hopped on craigslist and found a 15" NEC display for $35.00 (i absolutely love NEC's i would have nothing but them if i could but im poor) so i went out and picked up a cheep-O wall mount and an open box set of cyber acoustics for almost nothing and this is what i wound up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im quite happy with it. it makes it eraser to keep tabs on the forums wile im working and then there's the music and TV.

And i did it all with the help of my favorite beer in the whole world

[​IMG]

if you are of age and have not tried it i suggest picking some up.

also i need some help. if you have a mac case like mine can you take a pic of how the disk drive assembly works. im trying to figure out some way to duplicate it. im also trying to figure out a way to duplicate or buy the latching mechanism. i have the latch on the back of the case but not the assembly that actually slides and locks the case door in place.

7. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

im under age and ive tried a shandy... lol

good old dad... oh... u broke ur arm son...
    here have a drink...

rofl...