1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3D Realms closes down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

That would be awesome if Valve was able to get the rights to Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein and the likes.

2. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

and who exactly didn't see this coming??? If a company wants to release a good game they just DO IT! "When it's done" wasn't an acceptable deadline to begin with... Releasing a rather good game would have probably saved their sorry butts, and I say rather good cause those few teasers that were show to us were never really good to begin with. They always looked dated, even back in the days.

Now Duke Nukem 3D was a funny game, but a silly really stupid-nonsense one... With all those really awesome FPS that have came out ever since DN3D, it will be a really tough job to create a good game out of it. It has to be funny, look great, play smooth, have an interesting story, replayability, multiplayer, co-op, etc........ The bar has been raised gentlemen, and obviously 3d-Realms wasn't able to pull it off

Any one wants to step in? 2k, Activision, Valve, Treryach (lol.. just kidding), even EA... either way DN Forever's right can be traded.
    But the one studio that might actually do it will have a 13 year old mount of hype on their shoulders...

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I have mentioned this before on the CustomPC website a few months ago, about an article in PC Gaming World magazine dated Sept. '98. It talks about DNF dropping the Quake 2 engine for the Unreal engine, and how it would be released in 1999. This edition of the magazine also includes articles about whether gamers should upgrade to Windows '98, a review of Final Fantasy 7, and teaser shots of Fallout 2!

Duke Nukem I feel had its day in the 90's. If it ever were to be released now, I suspect it would feel extremely dated gameplay wise. It could have got away with it 8/9 years ago, but not now. Shame it's gone, but they kinda brought upon themselve by arsing about for over a decade.

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

There was a mod group that made a Duke Nukem HL2 mod. It didn't come out because 3DRealms took legal action and released a cease and desist order. The mod was about 80% complete when this all went down.

5. HourBeforeDawn

oh that could be cool, they should start it back up and if they still have legal issues call it Nuke Dukem and change a few things and call it a parody and then no legal issues will come up ^__^

6. HourBeforeDawn

Hmmm maybe we will see DNF afterall... well maybe

7. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Is it just me, or does this not seem real. I cannot imagine a future where I am not looking forward to Duke. The majority of my life I have been waiting. If it doesn't happen, I might cry.

8. kingjohn721

kingjohn721 What's a Dremel?

duke nuke em alll terrrorrrr nova the name is a curse name like in south park say it toooo many times and BANG bye bye USA .jj7

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You should've told Osama and his crew a couple of years back... would've saved them the hassle of learning how to fly a plane. :eyebrow:

Hail to the King, baby!

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: 12 May 2009
Tags: Add Tags