1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell launches Della site, for the ladies

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Did no-one tell Dell there are no ladies on the internet?!

3. Seraphim2150

Seraphim2150 Non-Modder

seems a bit condecending

4. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

+1 Isn't society meant to be trying to move away from sexism?

5. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

soon their marketing wizards shall aim for the teenagers and put massive flashing lights on their pc's. oh wait ...... XPS :p

6. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Ah yes, because it's not about making computers more accessible to more people and making things easy and fast, it's about helping those silly women folk understand what to do with all them complicated buttons...

As Sarah Haskins says 'I am just a lady, with a simple lady mind.'.

Sorry Dell, Fail!

Last edited: 13 May 2009
  7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Clearly, Dell has replaced their entire Marketing and PR departments with a gang of blithering idiots in order to save money in the recession. And they came up with this... :sigh:

Surely Dell would also have to create separate sections for men, transexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, relix and those of any other sexual preference in order to appease the PC brigade and dispel fears of sexism? :duh:

8. Ms_K

Ms_K What's a Dremel?

But where's the part where our husband/boyfriend/father gives his permission for us to have a computer? My simple lady mind is so confused.

smc8788, I would love to be able to buy an L:GBTQell!

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

this is such a joke

equal society my rear end. lol

10. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Obviously they are featuring the Mini notebooks since we all know that women won't be able to lift or carry a standard size notebook...

Could they be any more condescending with it?

yeah.... Dell. Fail!

11. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i like the initiative... it gives those who are less technology inclined (mostly women (sorry Ms_K and others)) the chance of picking a laptop suited for their needs on a nice site, and not have to wade between zillions of different models and configurations. most girls i know pick a laptop based on the looks (most own a mac or vaio), and that is exactly what dell is playing on.

and about the sexist side, nobody is keeping me as a man from surfing on that site, and nobody is keeping me from buying something there... nobody is blaming dell for having an XPS site for another subgroup in this world's population: the gamers.

EDIT: only the name is a real fail. here in Belgium, it is a typical cow name.

12. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Two important questions, will the site crash once a month and are the servers pink?

13. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

If dell gets away with this there damn well better be a SHii coming out then.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol what about cwd's?

15. caggles

caggles What's a Dremel?

Oh ya, because most guys don't do EXACTLY the same thing (ie pick a laptop based on looks). The only difference between a guy and a girl when choosing a laptop is the salesperson takes a man's intelligence seriously and will explain the difference between two computers for a guy.

I happen to LIKE searching through zillions of different models and configurations.

I've just spent the past week going from store to store looking for parts for my new computer, and every time, I've had some salesman try to steer me away from the components, explaining to my small minded self that those aren't whole computers and that I want to be looking elsewhere (without, mind you, asking me what I'm looking for first). I'll never get tired of their expressions when I ask them if they have any Radeon 4890 video cards in stock. Is it really that shocking that a woman knows more about computers than they do?

I once had a job as an IT assistant at a school, and you know what I found? Girls would often encounter a problem, and when I showed them how to fix it, they'd learn from me and fix it themselves the next time. Guys, in the other hand, seemed to often have trouble with the idea of learning from a girl, and as a result paid no attention to me when I was fixing their problem and never learned a thing. I'd keep getting called back by the same guys over and over for the same problems.

So while non-tech savvy people (not just women) are often not interested in learning the subtle nuances of computer configuration, they usually do like to learn a little bit about the machine they're buying and the Della website does absolutely nothing to help them make an informed decision concerning which laptop is best for them.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Really!!!???

sorry but this is the dumbest thing I've heard all day

17. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

What a joke! There are plenty of professional women pc users out there and I seriously doubt they appreciate Dell's attempt at selling a home-maker pc. I thought we got past this after the 60's. WTF is Dell doing? I personally have had several professional bosses that were women and to be honest, they were a hell of a lot better than most of the male bosses I worked for. Dell should be ashamed of this...and they need to fire their marketing department.

18. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

It may be a crap idea, but it sure has a lot of people talking about Dell... there's no such thing as bad publicity. Plus, I imagine a large number of people have visited the site just to see what it is like.

Looks to me like Dells marketing team have done pretty well!

19. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Y'know, I would hardly regard the normal Dell website as a scary place for non-tech savvy people. They have pre-built PCs in a range of prices. Non-tech savvy people can decide if they want a normal Laptop or Desktop or a Gaming Pc. Then they can decide which pre-built one looks right for them. Simple.

If they want to go into the details, even just a little say, picking a bigger monitor/hdd then they can. I really think most non-tech savvy already see Dell as the friendly option. You pay what you can for the type of PC and they deliver it pre-built and ready to go. You can pay for an extended warranty to let the tech savvy types at Dell (arguable, but go with me on this) fix it when it's broken.

20. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

This does nothing to assist women in bringing about equality. 'Della' ... sounds like a hairdressers or whatever.

Incidentally does this mean the guys get a website called 'Dellroy' or whatever?

Tags: Add Tags