1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Choosing the Right Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jerm4512, 13 May 2009.

1. jerm4512

jerm4512 What's a Dremel?

I have asked input before on the best gaming monitor and I have it pinned down to 2 different models I have been looking at. Can you all look at these reviews and tell me your thoughts. Are these in your opinion really good monitors or should I go with a better brand? I am trying to stay within $400 or a little over on the monitor itself. Are these good for gaming and it is wise to get at widescreen monitor for gaming and such? Is a 22" model better? Thanks for the help!

Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...in;contentBody

Dell SP2309W
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...in;contentBody

Jeremy:D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The 2408's response time doesn't lend particularly well to gaming, but in all other respects it's an epic monitor. The 2309W has a TN Film panel, so although the colour replication will be pretty poor, it'll have a great response time for gaming with.

Personally I'd get the 2408 out of those two, but if I had to buy a big monitor for the 2408's budget, I'd buy an HP LP2475W every single time.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

have a look at the zalman 3d trimon they look really cool

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

what you really want is an HP 24" screen just a shame you're in the US else you could have got one from me!

5. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

You should consider the Samsung 2493HM, almost identical to the 2408WFP exept (1) it's 6-bit rather than 8-bit, and (2) its response time is about half that of the Dell. When I got it the Dell was £100 more, which I didn't reckon was worth it. Tis a personal call though.

6. Toonook

Toonook Stewie rules

If you dont need a 24" then a LG W2252TQ is a good one (see CPC mag)

7. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

I have the Dell UltraSharp 2408 WFP, Sharp being the operative word! It really is the dogs wotsits.:thumb: Get one!

8. Frohicky1

What we need is someone who has both the Dell and the Samsung, and can give a more objective comparison :D

9. houlbt

houlbt What's a Dremel?

I'm loathe to start a whole new what monitor thread so I thought I'd try and tag something on here.

I'm pretty much decided on wanting a 24" (well two I think) screen in my office/boys room... and have read as many of these reviews and display threads as I can to try and narrow down choices. I'm after a monitor for work and casual gaming (typically strategy civ/c&c type stuff as oppose to FPS type games). I'm struggling to find any good reviews to differentiate between the following choices...

1. Dell 2408wfp
    2. NEC 24WMGX3
    3. Samsung 2493hm

Anyone able to shed any light? I've read plenty of happy reviews with respect to the Dell (and I am aware of the need to get the revised version to avoid the lagt issues). I've seen some good reviews for the NEC and I know the Samsung is a bit of a bargain.

Any thoughts? I'm not really budget constrained (fortunate position to be in)... but I'm sensible about wanting the right compromise of value for money. £400 for a 24" seems about right I thought.

Last possibility might be a single 30" instead of two 24" screens. Should I consider this as an option?

10. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

I Would Definitely get the 2408WFP.

The response time is high enough unless you need ultra fast response.

The Colours are Superb

The Design is brilliant

Tons of Inputs

Want to pick up one of my own for Photography work etc.

11. houlbt

houlbt What's a Dremel?

Thanks... a guy at work has the 30" Dell and I have to say I was impressed with the number of different inputs (although in reality I'll likely only use one whichever that may be). Hard to get a feel for the screen performance though as it doesn't do much more than Excel/Bloomberg when he's using it.

Not heard anything negative about the Dell and it looks more and more likely I'll swing that way.

Any NEC users here? Or anyone seen a comparitive review?

12. crosshair

Much of a muchness really, so if money isn't a factor then all that's left is looks. Appearance is a subjective issue but I think the Dell looks better, and it might be worth noting that it still wins CPCs "Premium Grade" award for 24" monitors.

13. Frohicky1

I've always wanted to see a 6bit and an 8bit next to each other in shop to see the difference, no luck yet. The problem with monitor debates is they normally go like this.

"I've got a Dell, it amazing, so get the Dell"

"I've got the Samsung, it's amazing, so get the Samsung"

"I've got the Dell, it's amazing, so . . . .

et cetera :)

14. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If you are prepared to spend the money to buy a Dell 2408WFP (?400+), also have a look at the HP LP2475w and NEC 24WMGX3, reviews can be found Here and Here...
    ________
    MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  15. mctato

mctato What's a Dremel?

I'm getting the HP LP2475W

Should arrive some time this week.
    My choice came down to it or the Dell 2408WFP. Having read various reviews and comments about both I took the plunge and ordered the HP. Apart from costing less (about £430) than the Dell it got more positive comments in general.

My boss has a 2408WFP so I might take my HP in and compare. Will let you know the outcome.

16. crosshair

Just received this months CPC (issue 70). The Dell 2408WFP has been knocked off the top spot!:wallbash: The HP LP2475W is now CPCs Premium Grade award. Congratulations! You've now got the best 24" monitor money can buy...

...Now. Where's my debit card..?

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For some decent, objective LCD reviews have a look at TFTCentral. They do some very in-depth reviews of stuff, the LP2475 included. :)

18. crosshair

Good site. I wonder if Dell will try to take back the top spot with a revised 2408.
    2407>2408>2409?:idea:

19. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

+1 for the HP LP2475, got one in the autumn and still love staring at it.

20. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

They did say the NEC was THE best Monitor, if the colours werent quite as good, but no input lag is fantastic on an IPS monitor.