1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia, Intel launch open-source project

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

cause nokia is scared symbian will get killed by andriod or apple

i thought symbian is already open source

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

^it is.

Strangely, Intel and open source don't go well together in my mind. Maybe it is because they can be right *******s sometimes. Oh well, this sound vaguely interesting.

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Atom in a smartphone? Want.

The 528MHz Qualcomm ARM CPU in my X1 is alright but it just doesn't cut it for anything particularly exciting, and having an x86 CPU in a Smartphone would just be awesome for mobile gaming.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If only Intel would get their power demand as low as ARM. I still remember how they had to backtrack late last year after the vice-head of something at Intel claimed ARM sucked and was the reason for the iPhone being shite. :)

6. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Obviously they don't do that as a good deed for the community (especially Intel, Nokia is more user-friendly), but whatever the reason, it's always good to see Open Source gain new grounds.

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I'm loving the massive push to open-source in the mobile market.
    Once consumers start to taste the freedoms associated with open-source, they'll start to demand it. :)

Agree though, the processor in my G1 isn't up to much, needs a bit more ooomph.
    This Toshiba smartphone coming out with the 1GHz snapdragon processor looks sweet.
    It runs winmo but I'm sure it won't be long before some enterprising hackers get Android on there... :)

8. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

yes i think it is a masterplan to stop adroid from overtaking them.because nokia is scared about android i think.In a competition point of view an intresting point in this article saying "one a mobile phone giant and one a chip manufacturer" favours the nokia more.

Tags: Add Tags